Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Barracks and Posts in Ireland

johnny_doyle

and a piece about Portobello Barracks

http://fileserver.4p.../6/6758-uow.pdf

Thank you again! that is exactly what I need, because I've recently noticed on one of my great uncle's service record disharge papers for 1919, as his one of his next of kin he has my great grandfather Henry Carney, who was a military pensioner, a former soldier with the EYR (15th Foot) working as a barrack labourer at Portobello Barracks. I'm assuming he was living in the barracks and earned his keep doing a bit of work?

portobello.jpg

Caryl

Does anyone have information about Athlone and what processing took place there for newly enlisted artillerymen during 1918? Men coming down from Belfast appear to have stayed there for a week or less before being transferred to Borden.

there's a thread about the barracks at Athlone Live that might be of interest for your query :

http://www.athlonelive.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=383

It housed No 5 Depot, Royal Field Artillery during WW1 but I don't know any details.

4 x 18 pounder guns were brought from Athlone during the 1916 Easter Rising; as I understand it they were generally in poor condition with limited ammunition.

johnny_doyle,

Thanks for the interesting link on the Athlone barracks. Besides being a trining area for theantry it also seems to have been a processing station for new Irish enlistees to the RFA. My Father spent a week or less there before shipping out to Borden. I imagine all they did for those men was to provide medical exams and perhaps issue clothing, etc.

johnny_doyle,

Thank you for your kind offer! Unfortunately his records were lost in the blitz.

The information I have on him is:

Dvr. James McQuaid 261296 (also known as John McQuaid)

R.A.P.C. Staff

23 Camp (Hut 14)

Lark Hill

Salisbury Plain, England

With a great deal of help from Forum members, and all based on his Regimental number, I believe he attested in Belfast and was posted to Athlone on either the 25th or 29th of April 1918 and then went on to Borden on either the 7th or 11th of May. Where he went from there I don't know but I believe he may have spent some time in Woolwich. His last post was at Lark Hill in March of 1919.

Forum members found a whole series of men with numbers around his who followed that route so I'm pretty confident the dates are correct.

If you could add any information I would be very grateful,

Regards,

Tyrim