Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

17th armoured car tank battalion ( rome museum )

val brown

came across this awhile back when researching something else, its an armoured lancia with the markings of the 17th armoured car tank battalion in a museum in rome italy,, its being niggling at me since i saw it and i expected after some futher research to find some connection to link the 17th with italy or even this model of armoured lancia with either the 17th or with the italian front but to no avail,, a colleague suggest that this model of lancia is from 1921-- and was unique to ireland ontill 1922 and then served in the middle east and his research hints that it may have been an x irish army lancia sold at auction in the 70s and restored by an italian truck company,,keeping in mind the 17th disbended in march 1920,, so my question is , , , is there any connection with italy and the 17th armoured car tank battalion.............

page 4 armoured lancia triota

http://the.shadock.f...moured_Cars.pdf

Hello Val

I am fairly certain that no units of the Tank Corps served in Italy. There are no diaries for Tank Corps units in the block of files in class WO95 at Kew (the War Diaries) which cover units, formations and headquarters in Italy.

I think the vehicle's presence in Rome is probably due to the Lancia connection.

Ron

Hello Val

I am fairly certain that no units of the Tank Corps served in Italy. There are no diaries for Tank Corps units in the block of files in class WO95 at Kew (the War Diaries) which cover units, formations and headquarters in Italy.

I think the vehicle's presence in Rome is probably due to the Lancia connection.

Ron

thanks for the reply,, ron clifton,, yes we were kinda thinking that ourselfs

• 3 weeks later...

Lancia Armored Car - The Italian Lancia was a luxury vehicle that saw it's chassis used for a series of armored cars. In 1919 The British Army acquired an unspecified number from the Italians.

So your question maybe true that they did get to Ireland

GB-LanciaAC.jpg

Lancia Armored Car - The Italian Lancia was a luxury vehicle that saw it's chassis used for a series of armored cars. In 1919 The British Army acquired an unspecified number from the Italians.

So your question maybe true that they did get to Ireland

GB-LanciaAC.jpg

thanks for the reply 17tankman,, i have came across that photo before (1919 albania) and like the lancia in the rome museum its a bit of a mystery and i could find nothing futher to link it to 1919 albania,, if i could take a guess id say that photo is probably 1922 or later and hopefully futher information on it mite crop up in the future