Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

113th Seige Battalion RGA

OzyGirl

Hi

first post here, so apologies if it's not the done thing to resurrect an old thread - but it's very relevant to information I'm looking for.

My grandfather (Pat O'Brien) served in the same unit as above (113th Siege Battery Glamorgan RGA) and I'm trying to trace his service during the Battle of the Somme.

He was wounded on 19 Aug 1916....luckily for him it was a Blighty Wound - shrapnel in his arm - and he was sent home. I'm particularly interested in finding out exactly where the battery was when he was hit. I think it was in or near the Trones Wood area (my mum wrote a story about it before she died) and I visited there a few years ago....but I'd like to go and visit again and try to find the spot where they were.

A cousin of mine has done some research and passed on a copy of a war diary by one of my grandad's comrades (Gnr J Spear). It's pretty detailed and lists the day my grandad was injured - as well as when William Jones was killed. But it's not too detailed on exactly where they were.

I'm wondering if the war diary in Kew which sotonmate referred to is the same one or not. I note sotonmate regularly uses the forum so I'm hoping he spots this and could send me the same information he sent to AdelOz.

Obviously I'd be glad to send a copy of Gnr Spear's diary to AdelOz and anyone else who wanted it.

Thanks in anticipation

Andy

Hi Andy,

May I take up your generous offer to share Gnr Spear's diary.

I am looking for information about my friend’s father, Sergeant William Samuel Dye who won a Military Medal and was wounded in the back early 1918, both actions may be linked.

His medal card WO 372/6 references RGA/113B which may be the same battery as Gnr Spears.

Any information or direction in how to discover how, when and where he won the Military Medal and received his wounds would be gratefully received.

I am waiting a reply from the London Gazette to my request to purchase the 16th July 1918 edition in the hope that it contains the citation, (supplement denotes the Gazette date),

Regards.

Alec

Welcome Andy,

The precise position was A16a.1.9. Sheet 57c SW. Maricourt area.

Alec,

That is NOT the battery, but merely the reference to the roll page held at Kew, in your case for Sgt Wm Dye 340019, an Essex and Suffolk Territorial.

Rgds

Paul

PS what is happening to the font sizes and spacing on the forum posts?

Alec,

Gunner 64, later 340019, William Dye went out with 361st Siege Battery. This battery was personnel only and was split up with Gnr. Dye's section joining 267th Siege Battery on the 25th June 1917. It is this battery that you should research. You should obtain his records which can be found on Ancestry in the "Pension"records. Any action for which he was awarded the MM would have been before his hospitalisation on the 21st March 1918.

Kevin

• 4 years later...

Just to say thanks to members of this forum - especially ororkep - for their help tracing my grandfather's footsteps in the Battle of the Somme. His story is detailed in this blog https://patobrienblog.wordpress.com/

There's information about the build up to the Somme as well as the first few months of the battle. Some pics too.

happy to help anyone else who is interested in the Glamorgan RGA or 113th SB. 

Andy

I read this old thread with interest.  William Jones was buried in Talus Bois Cemetery before he was concentrated to Peronne Road in 1920.  This was at the southern end of Talus Bois, north of the track from Carnoy to Maricourt. The map on Page 1 of the thread doesn't show any 6" Howitzers down there, but they may have been moved up to more advanced positons later.  Here's an IWM pic of RFA in Carnoy Valley.  I always imagine they were supporting the Manchester Pals in Guillemont. IWM Q4066

Tim

Tim,

the exact bty position on 12.08.1916 was:

Sheet 57c SW. A16a. 1.9.  1/20,000. and you are correct in that registration was on just South of Guillemont.

Rgds

Paul

Sorry, just realised I had already supplied that info on #28

Edited by ororkep

Hi Paul,

I hadn't grasped your earlier post, sorry.  The ref you give is close to the track from Machine Gun Wood and near the old British Front line from where the Liverpool Pals advanced on the First Day.  There were nearer cemeteries than Talus Bois, but they were all up hill - I think.  Just wonder if William had been taken to a the dressing station that was near the cemetery.  Speculation though.

Cheers

Tim