Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Sequence of Burials at Fromelles

tootrock

Is it possible to discover the grave reference for a particular burial in the new cemetery at Fromelles if the date and time of that burial are known?
I was there during the final week of burials. Standing outside the cemetery wall it was not possible to see exactly where each of three interments took place, but I do know that they were the first three after the break for lunch on that day. Presumably some list exists giving the sequence of burials.
I would like to know the reference of these three graves, so that I can pay my respects to the men I saw buried, during some future visit

Martin

Glen,

Thanks for that, but it is not possible to derive what I am looking for.

The burials were not done sequentially on the day I was there but seemed to be alternately either side of the central pathway, in plots III and II. I was stood by a gap in the wall, between plots IV and III on your diagram, where there was a public viewing area. Because the cemetery slopes up from there towards the Cross of Sacrifice, the burials were almost at eye level, so very difficult to locate accurately.

I will try the CWGC - they should have a record.

Martin

• Admin

Martin

I wasn't sure if it would. I was at the first week and a friend sent some from the last and it was a lot more difficult plotting hte later photos.

If CWGC can't help, try the MOD as they would have been involved in the planning.

Glen

Martin

I wasn't sure if it would. I was at the first week and a friend sent some from the last and it was a lot more difficult plotting the later photos.

If CWGC can't help, try the MOD as they would have been involved in the planning.

Glen

Someone must know as they were burying pre-identification; so they must know that body NNN went into plot X and likewise I would have thought there would have been a schedule of burials saying body NNN was buried at hh:mm dd/mm/yy. I can't somehow imagine bodies being collected from the mortuary at random and no record being kept.

David

• 5 weeks later...

I have now had a reply from the CWGC regarding the order in which plots were used for burial on the day in question, and from this information, and my own photographs taken that day, and the plan kindly provided by SPOF, I am now fairly certain that I know which burials I observed.

Martin