Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Gravestones

Guest fisherman

Guest fisherman

I have just returned from a visit to Ypres. Whilst visiting Larch Wood cemetry I noticed that some gravestones were of a material resembling marble.

Is this a replacement for the original stone material?

The original stone as you know is Portland (from Portland Island quarries, Dorset). On some CWGC cemeteries in the Ypres Salient you find the greyer and rougher Hopton Wood (south-eastcoast of England, between Norfolk and Suffolk). E.g. Lyssenthoek Cemetery (Poperinge), Bard cottage (between Boezinge and Ypres).

And the most recent sort is Botticino. A white marble that was originally used for British headstones in CWGC cemeteries in Italy, from the marble quarries of Botticino near Brescia (North-Italy). This kind is a lot smoother, not water absorbing and weather-resistant.

I think in recent years it has used when damaged or broken headstones had to be replaced, and of course for new headstones of recently found soldiers.

Aurel

I only can confirm Aurel. personaly i don't like the botticino as it stays to white...

i like a bit of corrosion and the grey colour. ;)

greets,

kristof

Remember that many different stones have been used for CWGC headstones. Do not get into the mind set that they are all Portland Limestone.

Often local stones have been used - including limestones of a red and a green colour. Granite and slate are also frequently used - although not on the Western Front.