Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Qualifying Dates for Memorials

Malcolm Linham

Pals

I have started to research a distant relative Pte 40853 W Blake 2nd Batt Devonshire regiment and have discovered an anomaly over the date of his death.

CWGC states 27/5/1916 recorded on the Soissons Memorial.

SIDGTH states 27/5/1918 this would tie in with the Soissons Memeorial which started me thinking, I know that the Menin Gate has a cut off date in 1917, after which the names are recored at Tyne Cot.

Is thier a list of the dates for each memorial and if so how do I find it.

Malcolm

Malcolm

Can't answer your question about the memorial dates but there is a good chance it is a CWGC typo. I have had similar which Terry Denham has been able to have corrected. Try and draw his attention to the thread or ask that it be moved to Non Comms which he definetly monitors.

Have you got the Overseas Index and have his papers survived? These may help speed things up.

Hywyn

Have had a look in Overseas index. He doesn't seem to be there! It occured to me after posting my last that the IFTC team would have picked up on him if he was.

No papers that I can see. The medal card is a straight Victory and British.

Hywyn

Hywyn

Thank you for your replies, I have already e mailed the CGWC as I suspect it to be a typo.

I was more interested if a list of the qualifiy dates for the memorials existed.

Best wishes

Malcolm

• 2 weeks later...

Pals

Just a quick update.

I have had a response from the GWGC who confirm that the date of death was a typo which they have now corrected.

Malcolm