Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

New CWGC Commemorations

Terry Denham

CWGC added the following WW1 casualties to the Debt of Honour today.

Dmr William HERRIOTT

15537 3rd Bn, Scots Guards

Died 09.01.19 Age 17

Buried: Larbert Cemetery, Stirlingshire, UK

L/Cpl James MacNAUGHTON

3743 1st Bn, Northumberland Fusiliers

Died 07.03.16 Age 19

Buried: Edinburgh (Warriston) Cemetery, UK

NOT FORGOTTEN

The above are In From the Cold Project cases (Volunteer: Jim Grant).

Both men died of tuberculosis post-discharge

May They Rest In Peace

Rest in peace soldier boy's, gone and no longer forgotten. poppy.gif

The above are In From the Cold Project cases (Volunteer: Jim Grant).

Both men died of tuberculosis post-discharge

This puzzles me, have these TB deaths been attributed to war service then? Or is there some other reason for their inclusion with CWGC? I had a similar case posted on here some weeks ago and it was said to be unlikely to be accepted, which I do tend to agree with. The cause of his death on certificate was TB. (post discharge).

Andy

TB is a very common cause of qualification for post-discharge cases.

The illness is accepted as being frequently contracted during army life. In order for the case to be accepted, you have to prove that it was (1) the cause of death and (2) that the person was suffering from it upon discharge. This later point can be accomplished either by evidence from medical/pension papers or by there being a very short time between discharge and death from TB.

What were the circumstances of your case?

Andy

TB is a very common cause of qualification for post-discharge cases.

The illness is accepted as being frequently contracted during army life. In order for the case to be accepted, you have to prove that it was (1) the cause of death and (2) that the person was suffering from it upon discharge. This later point can be accomplished either by evidence from medical/pension papers or by there being a very short time between discharge and death from TB.

What were the circumstances of your case?

Hi Terry,

Rather than hijack this thread I am linking to the original thread here:

Sam Rainford

I think the problem in my man's (Sam Rainford) case is that it was almost two years between his army discharge and his death from TB (I have a copy of his death cert which gives it as the cause of death - 15th February 1921 so he's within the qualifying period for the CWGC but possibly not because of the length of time and the inability to attribute the TB specifically to war service. I have no specific reason for discharge in his service papers but since it was in March 1919 I think it's fair to assume that he was just discharged normally, a few months after the end of the war. And there's the rub. He's on the local war memorial you see, but not with CWGC and his was always going to be a borderline case.

Now if I could find an obituary in the local newspaper that says he suffered from lung problems since leaving service I will have a better case but I haven't found anything yet.

I was just interested to see what qualified these men as it's a similar issue for Sam Rainford.

He's here, by the way:

Men of Worth - Sam Rainford

Andy

Yes. That's your problem. There is no evidence that he contracted the illness in the army and there was plenty of time for him to contract it in civilian life where TB was common.

The two cases above both had evidence of the disease in service.

I also have an example of a name on a local memorial who cannot be proven to have a war related cause of death. However, the locals believed his demise to be so linked or that he deserved to be included and so they added him. It must have occured often.