Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Uniforms and Badges

DelineSD

I believe this is a photo of my great grand father. I have tried to find out what war this uniform and pith helmet this is from. The closest I came was to find a helmet with a similar crest on the side, and they said it was from the "Boer war". The crest on that one read "Lancaster", sorry I can not read what the one pictured says. I am trying to trace my family tree and it would help a great deal if I knew approximately when this picture was taken and what war the uniform is from. I was also wondering about the strip on his sleeve.

Thank You in advance: Shelley

post-56887-011302100 1279725746.jpg

The badge looks like one of the Light Infantry regiments. The stripe is for long service which an expert will be able to identify properly. Wristwatch - were they common before 1914? This might help in dating the photo.

D

Ox and Bucks LI would be the most likely. Circa WW1 would be my guess. the shorts and pith helmet are most typical for India or Egypt theatres.

The stripe is a badge for 5 (?) years good conduct. The upper inset photo is definitely a wartime one. The main photo may be wartime, or could be a bit later. He seems to have an Indian-made jacket and helmet so either it has been taken in India, or he has gone from India to wherever he is. The badge could be to any Light Infantry regiment.

Two different men in the photo.

The fact the helmet appears to be a solar topee FSH, as opposed to a Wolsley FSH indiciates the photo was possibly taken after the War and the Good Conduct Badge show he's a regular. The two smaller photo's are possibly the young soldiers parents, so I think we're looking at at least mid-1920's.

I've seen this pattern cloth badge for the FSH before and am of the opinion it could possibly be Somerset Light Infantry, but it blurs before I can get a good look at the features. It's a stringed bugle with Roman numerals between the bugle and cords, with the title of the regiment below.

The stripe is a badge for 5 (?) years good conduct.

2 years good conduct....

And I'd agree that the photo's probably taken just post-war.

The badge looks like one of the Light Infantry regiments. The stripe is for long service which an expert will be able to identify properly. Wristwatch - were they common before 1914? This might help in dating the photo.

D

I did a little research on the wristwatch and this is what I found:

"Impact of War: Toward the end of the 1800s, women began to embrace the wristwatch as an item of adornment. Despite the feminine association, the concept became accepted as indispensable to military campaigns as mechanization in war grew. The ability to read time with a quick glance rather than having dig through to pockets was critical in battle.

Officers in the South African Boer war (1899-1902) used wristwatches. By World War I, military organizations began to demand them. They became especially crucial to fledgling aerial combat operations."

In case it is the Oxon & Bucks Light Infantry, you could try the 'Soldier Search' on the Soldiers of Oxfordshire website, to see if your great-grandfather's name comes up.

P.S. welcome to the Forum!

Thanks for the welcome!

This is the unfortunate part, all I have is a last name I am not to sure of the first name.

The fact the helmet appears to be a solar topee FSH, as opposed to a Wolsley FSH indiciates the photo was possibly taken after the War and the Good Conduct Badge show he's a regular. The two smaller photo's are possibly the young soldiers parents, so I think we're looking at at least mid-1920's.

I've seen this pattern cloth badge for the FSH before and am of the opinion it could possibly be Somerset Light Infantry, but it blurs before I can get a good look at the features. It's a stringed bugle with Roman numerals between the bugle and cords, with the title of the regiment below.

That was my thought that it is a picture of son and his two parents. But more mystery I'm affraid!?!?!

Have you tried the usual family history routes (birth/marriage/death certificates, censuses, etc.)? If not, you could post what you know about your grandfather here. Perhaps some of the family history detectives among us could find some more clues as to his father's name.