Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Captain Geoffrey Yate Heald

GrahamC

I've posted this comment already in the 'Cemeteries' section - but thought it worth floating it here as well:

"What a coincidence - I have just returned from visiting the grave of a young Marine who was killed in Afghanistan last month, and who was buried a few days ago in our local Cemetery (Buxton, Derbyshire) in the CWG plot.

On the way out I noticed this memorial cross to Captain Geoffrey Yate Heald, 15th Bn. Lancashire Fusiliers, who fell on the first day of the Somme and is buried in Lonsdale Cemetery, Grave V.E.1. As you can see it is resting on the gravestone of Lilian Heald (Wife maybe? although not mentioned on the CWGC site).

Capt. Heald is not on our local Town Memorial and his parents lived in Manchester - so there's a story to pursue, but if anyone knows anything about this Officer, who died aged 20, I would be pleased to hear. Also a photo of his grave."

post-37838-050830900 1279725710.jpg

Captain Geoffrey Yates Heald

Born on 16 Nov 1895

Educated at Manchester Grammar School from 1909 to 1914

Before the war he was employed on the Actuarial Staff of Refuge Insurance Company

During the Great War he served with 15th Bn, Lancs Fusiliers

Killed in action at Thiepval on 1 July 1916

Source: A Biographical Register of Old Mancunians 1888-1951.

Many thanks for the extra info. I've since discovered that he was the youngest son of William (Bank Clerk) and Sarah A. Heald. In 1901 the family was living at 39 Stretford Road, Urmston, He had an older brother, Oliver W. and two older sisters, Jesse J. and Dorothy M. (1901 Census RG 13/3667) By 1911 (Census RG 14/23623) the family had moved to Orford House, Barnfield, Urmston.

It seems from his MIC that having been appointed 2/Lt. on 25 Sept. 1914 with the 15th Bn (Salford Pals) (LG 4 November 1914) at some point he transferred to the 13th Bn as a Captain - promoted Acting Capt. 7 May 1916 (LG 23 June 1916). As the 13th seem to be a Training Battalion it seems unlikely that he had taken up that appointment before his death on 1 July.

:rolleyes: Any more info. gratefully received.

• 2 weeks later...

Sad to see this memorial in pieces. Geoffrey Yates Heald:

Originally Platoon Commander No 7 Platoon, later Officer Commanding B/Coy 15th (1st Salford Pals) Bn., Lancashire Fusiliers. Born 16.11.1895, son of William and Sarah Ann Heald of 'Northfield', Urnmston. His father worked for Williams Deacons Bank in Manchester. Geoffrey won a scholarship to Manchester Grammar School, where he was in the OTC. He was an acturial clerk with the Refuge Assuarnce Co., Mcr. In Feb. 1918 Mrs. Heald promoted a concert in memory of her son at the Salford Royal Technical Institute, and this raised £62 for the Lancashire Fusiliers comforts fund.

Photo page 37, 'God's Own - 1st Salford Pals'

:unsure: Just to square the circle (whatever that means!!)

I've just been back to the Cemetery and the grave pictured in post #1 above is of William Heald, died 1924 (NOT Lilian as I first saw in the rain) and his wife Sarah Ann - who were of course Geoffrey's parents.

They were all in Urmston in 1911 but must have retired here or something and wanted Geoffrey commemorated - although not on the Town Memorial. I've now tidied up a bit around the grave and put the cross back upright, so it doesn't look quite such a mess.

Thanks, guys, for all your help

Graham