Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

More on Highland Uniforms

Frank Burke

Hello,

I am wondering if anyone knows what material the khaki kilt aprons as per the highland regiments were made out of. Does anyone have an original from which to judge? I've seen some pictures of repros but it is hard to tell from the photographs what kind of fabric was used. As far as I can tell, it looks like khaki cotton twill. Can anyone offer any assistance?

Best,

Frank

Hello,

I am wondering if anyone knows what material the khaki kilt aprons as per the highland regiments were made out of. Does anyone have an original from which to judge? I've seen some pictures of repros but it is hard to tell from the photographs what kind of fabric was used. As far as I can tell, it looks like khaki cotton twill. Can anyone offer any assistance?

Best,

Frank

Hi Frank - there have been several threads on these in the past you might be able to find them with a search - Joe Sweeney is your man for the real details.

I'm at work but if no one posts links to the other threads or images before I get home I'll post pic or two.

The material on mine is, as you say like the Khaki used in KD uniforms, a little heavier.

Chris

All the wartime examples I've ever seen (probably about 30) have been of a lighter weight cotton, similar in weight, weave and colour to the disposable cotton bandoliers in which .303 rounds were supplied.

So is cotton twill the proper material for the aprons? I'm thinking of the lighter, thinner kind that was used for PH hood carriers.

So is cotton twill the proper material for the aprons? I'm thinking of the lighter, thinner kind that was used for PH hood carriers.

Lighter than that, and not twill, but criss cross cotton weave. Similar in weight to a cotton handkerchief.

Lighter than that, and not twill, but criss cross cotton weave. Similar in weight to a cotton handkerchief.

Really? That lightweight? mine (which I think is Canadian) is heavier than that - but I will bow to your greater experience.

I would have said that the material that makes up the extra ammunition bandoliers SAA was supplied in was a good approximation but as I said based on only looking at a couple of examples.

Certainly the repro ones available are significantly heavier than that but they may not be much of a guide.

Chris

Really? That lightweight? mine (which I think is Canadian) is heavier than that - but I will bow to your greater experience.

I would have said that the material that makes up the extra ammunition bandoliers SAA was supplied in was a good approximation but as I said based on only looking at a couple of examples.

Certainly the repro ones available are significantly heavier than that but they may not be much of a guide.

Chris

Chris

I meant lighter than the PH helmet bag material, which is a cotton drill / twill, and about the same as the SAA bandoliers, which are pretty flimsy.

Regards,

W.

Have to agree with W. I have two aprons. They are made from plain weave cotton Khaki cotton, very light weight.

In fact at least at Salonika surveys were sent arond asking units if continued issue was worth while since they were commonly made into cleaning patches for rifles and rarely worn.

Joe Sweeney

Thank you all for your kind assistance. I have another question about kilt aprons. About how many yards were the covers made of? Also, how many pleats were there on the aprons?

Thanks,

Frank