Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Captain Hewetson

Fred W

Captain Heweteson 9th Bn Loyal North Lancashire Regiment was listed as missing on 27 May 1918, later reported as a POW.

Can anyone tell me what the 9th Bn was doing at that time?

Fred

Captain Heweteson 9th Bn Loyal North Lancashire Regiment was listed as missing on 27 May 1918, later reported as a POW.

Can anyone tell me what the 9th Bn was doing at that time?

Fred

Think at Hell Fire corner. Do you know which pow camp? Vince

CAPTAIN RICHARD JOHN PHILIP HEWETSON, The Loyal North Lancashire Regiment 3rd Bn. attd. 9th Bn. Died: 3th July 1918

Age: 24. Only son of the Rev. W. Hewetson, M.A., and Mrs. Hewetson, of St. Cuthbert's Rectory, Bedford. Educated at Repton School and Oriel College (Oxford). Served from Aug., 1914, previously wounded at Loos, 1915.

Cemetery: VENDRESSE BRITISH CEMETERY, IV. F. 3.

Times obituary, 21st Feb 1919: "Captain Richard John Philip Hewetson, 3rd The Loyal North Lancashire Regiment, was the only son of The Rev and Mrs W Hewetson of Salhouse-w Wroxham Vicarage, Norwich. He was educated at The Knoll, Woburn Sands, and Dulwich Preparatory Schools, afterwards at Repton and Oriel College, Oxford. While at school he won several cups for running and gained his football colours in 1911. He was head of his house for two years and a school prefect. He belonged to the Repton OTC and gained Certificate A in 1911. He played in the freshers match at Oxford in 1912. He volunteered for service in August 1914, the day after his 21st birthday, and was offered his commission and gazetted from that month. He went to France first in June 1915, and served with the 1st Battalion. He became bombing officer for the battalion and went over the top on September 25 at the Battle of Loos. He was hit early on in the day and lay out for nine hours. The result was that he lost the use of his fingers for some months. During this time at home he acted as assistant adjutant of the 3rd Battalion at Felixstowe for six months, and went again to France in March 1917. This time he joined the 9th Battalion and was adjutant until the Battle of Messines, when he acted as liaison officer between a Canadian brigade and his own. After this he became adjutant and quartermaster for the 2nd Corps Advanced Reinforcement Camp, and later took part in the engagements around Ypres, Westhock &c. He came home in October and was advised to accept home service, as his heart was overstrained. He requested, however, to be passed for general service again, and although unfit, he was sent once more to France in April, 1918. He joined the 9th Battalion, but was given command of a brigade instructional platoon because of his “splendid work the year before in heartening up men” His division, the 25th, was sent with other tired divisions to rest on the Aisne. They were overwhelmed on May 27 by 5 times as many Germans. He was ordered to fill a gap which had occurred on the left flank three miles long. This was over 5 miles away. They had not gone more than half an hour when they met with the enemy in large forces. They put up a splendid fight which lasted nearly one hour, by which time they were practically surrounded. Captain Hewetson was taken prisoner with his leg smashed, but was not picked up until the next day, by which time gas gangrene had set in. His leg was amputated by an English doctor also a prisoner. But, owing to lack of food, Captain Hewetson died five weeks later in a cellar converted into a field ambulance and was buried in Beaurieux Cemetary. He was 24 years of age. His colonel wrote:- It will be a help to you in bearing the blow to be assured of the very real esteem and affection with which your sons memory will be cherished by all in the regiment who served with him He leaves a record of steady accomplishing of good work, and his calm and reliable nature made him a most valuable officer. All my memories of him are pleasant ones. ”

http://www.mkheritage.co.uk/wsc/docs/War%20Casualties%202.html

Additionally there is a large amount of family papers, letters and photos at the NA.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Fred

Please let me know if you find anything new I can add to my site, which is linked to in the reply above. Always looking to add to what we know.

Paul