Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

U.S. Marines Uniforms

HMS Resolute

Hello. From what I've read, it seems like the United States Marines that were shipped over to Europe had to ditch their Forest Green USMC uniforms and were given standard issue U.S. Army uniforms instead. My question is, did ALL Marines give up their uniforms? I'm wondering if it would be uncommon to see a marine wearing his USMC forest green uniform while in battle.

I would imagine that the Marines didn't have to wear the Army uniform until their USMC uniform had worn out, but this is where I am unsure.

Thanks for the help!

The debate still continues.....while it is generally agreed that Marines initially fought in the forest green uniform in which they had arrived in France, when, and to what extent, that uniform was subsequently replaced with Army khaki is uncertain. Digs at Belleau Wood and Soissons have both yielded USMC blouse (jacket) and overcoat buttons as well as forest green cloth. Given that the USMC was always at the tail end of the supply line (especially when attached to the Army), I would guess that Marines likely fought in whatever was available, resulting in a combination of forest green and Army khaki, at both the individual as well as organizational level. Doubtless, most of the forest green service uniforms which survive today were not worn in combat. At some point FG became the service order of dress (garrison duty, leave, etc.) and Army khaki (sometimes with USMC buttons, chevrons and EGA devices) became the combat order of dress. IMHO most (excepting the rare privately purchased officer or NCO uniform) surviving WW1 vintage FG uniforms were likely issued after the war upon arrival back in the states. If you wish to join in the debate, see the link below. Cheers (or should that be Hoo-ah?), Bill

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/lofiversion/index.php/t32532.html

"Thanks for the input, it guess the issue is still up in the air after 92 years. Lol."

Reading through the debate at the site dutchbarge linked to, the "replacement" theory would seem most likely. My grandfather was a platoon sgt with 43rd Co. 2/5 at Belleau Wood, and mentioned to me on several occasions that it was easy to distinguish the replacements by the color of their blouses. All of the uniforms he still had were OD, but considering the amount of time he spent in the line, it's unlikely in the extreme that any of them survived from June of 1918.