Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Canadian (or Newfoundland ) troops, Salisbury Plain

Moonraker

Here's a crop from a postcard published by A F Marett of Shrewton crudely captioned "Newfoundland 191*", with the pencilled suggestion that it shows Newfoundland Camp (actually the former Newfoundland Farm, whose buildings were used by the army) on Salisbury Plain. My first reaction was that it might in fact show men of the Newfoundland Contingent that was was attached to the First Canadian Contingent on Salisbury Plain in late 1914, before inclining to the view that the men were in fact Canadians, possibly wearing cloth lapelettes or small shoulder straps to indicate to which branch they belonged and with which they were issued when on the Plain. The horses in the background are wearing skimpy blankets, which is characteristic of the Canadians' time on the Plain. And a couple of Canadian units did use Newfoundland Farm (as did British soldiers before the war).

Please can any uniform experts make useful comments about the men's uniforms, bearing in mind that both the Canadians' and Newfoundlanders' original uniforms were replaced by British kit when they were on Salisbury Plain?

My attempt to "blow up" the cap badges didn't reveal very much - they could possibly be Newfoundland badges, but I'm not sure what design was used in late 1914.

post-6017-014619100 1279641832.jpg

Moonraker

The men seem to be making a statement with the brush, spade and what looks like a mallet with a very thin a handle. How about pioneers.

Alan

Probably a fatigue party with a sense of humour!!! Look what they've given us to fight with mum!!!(or would that be mom???)

Cheers,

Martin

Hello,

I'd be inclined to say they were Canadian, at least the fellow in the lighter short overcoat as his cap badge seems to me to be a little large to be the Newfoundland Caribou, but it is possible he could be a Newfoundland officer. The badge issued to the Newfoundland Regiment did not change during the war. There is a larger badge that looks like the regimental cap badge but that was issued to the Newfoundand Highlanders, one of the denominational cadet brigades in existance prior to the war. It was worn by some officers in 1914 until the issuing of the regimental cap badge,I do not know the exact date of issue for the regimental badge.

Attached are two photos of Newfoundland officers wearing the badges discussed above. The first is of two officers in 1914 wearing the Highlander's badge and the second is of the officers onboard the S.S. Florizel in 1915 wearing the issued cap badge It may give you an idea of the size of the badge on the cap.

Chris

post-5353-065213000 1279705764.jpg

post-5353-088838600 1279705782.jpg