Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help with Army Service Corps insignia

peter4447

Sorry for the very poor quality scan but wonder if anyone can possibly ID this for me please?

I believe that this is the insignia/emblem of an Army Service Corps MT Company or a Divisional Army Service Corps emblem. It was certainly in use in 1916/1917 in France and Flanders but that is all the information that I have.

The badge consisted of an upright dagger or sword with a scroll beneath.

Very many thanks indeed

Peter

post-46183-033911100 1279633940.jpg

I'm thinking less a dagger than Wat Tyler's Sword, as used by certain London Territorial units?

Thanks for that Staffsyeoman - I have been thinking along similar lines but the only picture I have found of the London Division badge shows a very different shape to the handle and guard.

Kind regards

Peter

This looks like a bit of quite sophisticated art work, and I would have thought that most ASC Company Unit Signs would have been simple and suitable for hand painting with a stencil

However having said that, ASC Co. No. 608 did have a dagger in its unit sign,

but a red one on a white triangle on a plain background. This ASC company was formed at Home in Nov 1915 but ended the war on the WF with the 40th Div as their Divisional Supply Column and then their Divisional (MT) Company. The Kew file ref is WO95/932. Info from Col Michael Young's history of the ASC

regards

Michael

Many thanks Michael - another very useful lead to follow up.

Kind regards

Peter