Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Any other medals?

joee86

At home we have my great grandfathers medals. 1914 star, British, victory and MM. However, im starting to wonder if he was entitled to any more? He served from 1906-1925. Serving in India 07-12, S.Africa 12-14, France 14-18 and India 21-25.

Any ideas on any other service medals?

Cheers,

Joe.

Google India General Service Medal, gives a lot of information, he may be entitled to this at least. Ralph.

I am no Cavalry expert, but having had a quick glance in my copy of Gordon's British Battles and Medals, I cannot see that the 4th Hussars were present at any of the post WW1 campaigns in India.

As he served into the inter war years, have you contacted the MoD to discover whether his Service Papers have survived? That would certainly answer your question.

Details on how to apply is shown at the following link.

http://www.veterans-uk.info/service_records/service_records.html

Hope that helps

Cheers

Sepoy

What was he doing between 1918 and 1921 ? ,just asking for continuos service IE LSGC :unsure: :unsure:

MC

Just to say that I have re-read Gordon's British Medals and the 10th Hussars served on the North West Frontier during 1908, so your Great Grandfather may be entitled to an Indian General Service Medal (Edward VII) with North West Frontier 1908 clasp!

Sorry I missed this yesterday.

Regards

Sepoy

Sorry 27th BN i don't understand the last part of your post.

But I will try to answer what he was doing though between 1918-1921. I don't have his service record with me but I have my shortened summary.

He was shot in 1918 and went back to the UK. On 22/06/19 he continued in service under the Military Service Act 1916, I dont understand what that means.

He was then demobbed as a L/Sgt in 25/07/19. I know from my granddad that Stanley was against fighting in Ireland which is where the 10th were going so he re-enlisted as a private in the 4th Hussars on the 29/07/19. He was in the UK until he went to India on 27/09/21.

Sepoy- Where could I find out if he was actually entitled to this? Would it say in his record? My next area that im going to read about is his Indian service, Ive ordered 'Sahib' by Holmes off of amazon. But could you tell me, was serving in India seen as a good posting or as a boring one? He spent a lot of his career there, and I would hate to think that he was fighting in battle for the majority of his life.

Thanks,

Joe.

Joe

The quickest way to confirm whether your Gt Grandfather received the IGS08 Medal with NWF08 clasp, is to check the medal roll held at the National Archives at Kew, London. Unfortunately, due to a long term illness, it is unlikely that I will be visiting Kew for sometime, but may be another member of the forum may be able to assist you in checking the medal roll for you. (It cannot be done on line yet)

His full medal entitlement, including whether he received a Long Service and Good Conduct Medal, should appear in his Service Papers, This may also show up his various postings.

The 10th Hussars were part of the Mohmand Field Force or Bazaar Valley Field Force seeing service at Landi Kotal (Khyber Pass) and north of Adinazai between February/May during 1908. Service on the North West Frontier was very unpleasant and the area was one of constant trouble as it still is today. I must confess that I have not read "Sahib", but knowing Richard Holmes other works, it should give you a good idea as to what service on the North West Frontier was like.

I understand that the 4th Hussars had a more restful time in inter war India, increasing their sporting prowess. Tthe 4th Hussars is now part of the Queen's Royal Hussars, who has a Regimental Museum at Lord Leychester Hospital, High Street, Warwick, CV34 4BH and they may be able to give you an idea as to where the Regiment was and what they were up to.

Cheers

Sepoy

Thanks for all your help. After reading about it, it seems he must of had quite a tough career.

One more question though, as they were fighting do the 10th Hussars have a war diary for the campaign?

Thanks.

Joe.

Sorry 27th BN i don't understand the last part of your post.

But I will try to answer what he was doing though between 1918-1921. I don't have his service record with me but I have my shortened summary.

He was shot in 1918 and went back to the UK. On 22/06/19 he continued in service under the Military Service Act 1916, I dont understand what that means.

He was then demobbed as a L/Sgt in 25/07/19. I know from my granddad that Stanley was against fighting in Ireland which is where the 10th were going so he re-enlisted as a private in the 4th Hussars on the 29/07/19. He was in the UK until he went to India on 27/09/21.

Sepoy- Where could I find out if he was actually entitled to this? Would it say in his record? My next area that im going to read about is his Indian service, Ive ordered 'Sahib' by Holmes off of amazon. But could you tell me, was serving in India seen as a good posting or as a boring one? He spent a lot of his career there, and I would hate to think that he was fighting in battle for the majority of his life.

Thanks,

Joe.

Well if he was still in the army even at home he should have been entitled to an LSGC medal if he Kept himself tidy in the army no charges etc .I said 1918-1921 as in your first post no army service was mentioned in those years.

Cheers MC

This might be the medal roll you need WO 100/397 Details for this referenceUnder Special Order Dec 1908 and Order 2 of 1909: Clasp North West Frontier 1908 Under Army Order 308 of 1912: Clasp Abor 1911-1912: Staff and miscellaneous units of British and Indian armies

If so it is on microfilm in the open access research room.

Hi

As he was in India with the 10th Hussars in 1911 he was probably awarded the Delhi Durbar Medal.

Steve

WO 100/400 Delhi Durbar 1911: medal rolls of Army in India and memorandum showing conditions under which the Delhi Durbar medals of 1903 and 1911 were issued

What is your grandfather's name? Dick Flory

I have the 1911 Delhi Durbar list and can do a look up for you. Regards, Dick Flory

His name is 977 Stanley Eckers/Ecker, someone has checked for me though and could not see his name. Do you have the 1908 India service medal roll?

As mentioned earlier, he was still serving in 1925 so his service record will be held by the Ministry of Defence. Have you requested a copy?

Try here to begin with: http://www.mod.uk/DefenceInternet/ContactUs/ServiceRecordsEnquiries.htm

His service record will detail all of his medal entitlement amongst plenty of other fascinating information.

Ken