Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Uniform help

joee86

Hi guys,

I need some help with some information on 2 photos. You can see them on the link below.

Firstly in regards to the head and shoulders photo. There is a piece of string on the right shoulder/arm, does anyone know what that is?

Also, is the collar badge just a smaller version of the 4th Hussars badge or is completely different?

Secondly regarding the photo with the horse. On a earlier post, someone commented that the photo was pre war due to the uniform. Can anyone tell me how you can tell this? Also is it just the light or is the top of the hat a different colour?

http://s916.photobucket.com/albums/ad6/joee86/

Random questions I know, but any help would be great.

Thanks,

Joe.

Secondly regarding the photo with the horse. On a earlier post, someone commented that the photo was pre war due to the uniform. Can anyone tell me how you can tell this? Also is it just the light or is the top of the hat a different colour?

I was the one who commented, I believe. The style of the uniform, and particularly the bandolier, are of a pre-war pattern - I did say this in the other thread (compare the bandolier in this photo with the one he's wearing in the studio photo). The top of his cap is a different colour; he seems to be wearing an army issue weatherproof 'cover' to his cap.

The 'piece of string' over his shoulder looks like a lanyard.

Thanks for the reply Headgardener,

I believe it was you who commented on the earlier post I couldnt find it, I cant seem to find a list of my earlier posts.

In regards to the lanyard, what would it be used for? This photo would of been taken just post war, he was shot in the right shoulder about a year prior, would that have something to do with it?

Thank for your help,

Joe.

A lanyard is for attaching something to you in order that you don't lose it. Very important if you're riding a horse.

My suggestion, for what it's worth, is that you try to keep one thread open on your man, another thread for his unit, etc. Otherwise you won't be able to keep track of the questions you've asked and the responses you get, and you're going to get lots of repetition, like my response above. I've seen several different threads (8 in total) running for this one man.

To find your 'Topics' you want to click on your name at the top right hand side of this page and a drop-down menu appears; select 'my profile' and then select 'topics' from the tool bar that appears in the upper centre of the screen. The heading 'posts' (which is next to 'topics') will bring up your comments on other people's threads.

Alternatively select 'my content', and all the threads that you have contributed to should appear.

In regards to the lanyard, what would it be used for?

Irrespective of origins, in the Great War the lanyard was an issue item to all men of all corps and was for attaching the (also issue) jack knife, which would be then carried in the breast pocket of the service dress. This is a fancy one, so privately purchased for show.

Of the MG and HG proficiency badges on his arm, these were introduced in 1914 and 1917 respectively. Interestingly, the HG replaced the MG for Hotchkiss Gunners, so surprised to see them together and even then, they should have been worn on the lower left arm.

In respect of the mounted image, the bandolier appears to be the 1897 Mounted Infantry pattern.

Cheers,

GT.

Hello again,

Headgardener- I apologise, im new this forum and just have so many questions to ask, looking at my content I can see what you mean. I will now try and delete old posts and only have one open Stanley.

Grovetown- You bring up some interesting points that create some questions.

1- Is the head and shoulders photo service dress?

2- Any idea why the HG and MG are on the right upper arm? Have you seen this before?

3- What is actually in the Sam Browne? I have always thought it was for show but it must have a practical use?

4- He won the MM, 14 star, victory and british medal. But does the medal ribbons on his left look like more than that to you?

5- And finally, there is a white vertical thing on his left shoulder, any idea what this is or is it the light?

Thanks.

1- Is the head and shoulders photo service dress?

2- Any idea why the HG and MG are on the right upper arm? Have you seen this before?

3- What is actually in the Sam Browne? I have always thought it was for show but it must have a practical use?

4- He won the MM, 14 star, victory and british medal. But does the medal ribbons on his left look like more than that to you?

5- And finally, there is a white vertical thing on his left shoulder, any idea what this is or is it the light?

1. Yes.

2. Regulation was lower left arm, but you see them positioned in various places against regulation. It's not unheard of at all.

3. It is the 1903 Pattern Bandolier, primarily for mounted troops. It would have contained rifle rounds.

4. Can't say.

5. The white thing on the left is a lanyard. Can't say what the stringy thing is around his right shoulder, could be another one - this time a plain, issue one - for some strange reason.

GT.

MG and HG [and LG] when worn upper right are a badge of appointment, not skill-at-arms. He would be an "assistant instructor" in both weapons [only officers were to be called "Instructor"!]