Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Can anyone identify the soldier's regiment.

pooter

We are researching our family tree and have this photo of Maggie Joslin (maiden name) and her family. We think her husband is Horace Stanley Everard who was in the Pay Corps. Can anybody tell me if this could be correct and what rank he is please.

AuntMegUnclewithStanleyTeddy.jpg

This gentleman is in the Army Service Corps (ASC); the Army Pay Corps had a simple badge of the initials APC with crown, this is the ASC star (discussed in several other threads, the ASC was a huge Corps). He's a private, as far as I can see. The four chevrons on his left sleeve are awarded for good conduct, one for every two years I believe. As such, he's been in the army for a little bit!

Peter

This gentleman is in the Army Service Corps (ASC); the Army Pay Corps had a simple badge of the initials APC with crown, this is the ASC star (discussed in several other threads, the ASC was a huge Corps). He's a private, as far as I can see. The four chevrons on his left sleeve are awarded for good conduct, one for every two years I believe. As such, he's been in the army for a little bit!

Peter

Peter, thanks for the prompt reply this gives us another lead to follow.

There are 19 pages on Ancestry Pension Records for a Horace Stanley Everard. Basically number 16162 Corporal to reserve 7-1-1919,joined 24-9-1917 medical cat B3, date of birth 12-11-1882 lived Bradford St Booking Braintree Essex with his wife (according to the 1911 census was Rossie Everard nee Smoothie) married 1910 and his occupation was a pay clerk in civilian life although on his discharge papers it says "going back to being a baker" . Ralph.

The four chevrons on his left sleeve are awarded for good conduct, one for every two years I believe.

Two, five and 12 years for the first three. Not sure of the interval for the fourth.

Cheers,

GT.

Thanks for these replies. We have decided that he is not Horace Everard and have started looking afresh. There is a medal roll for an Arthur S. Everard who was in the ASC but no papers unfortunately.