Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

ID badge--unit

Joe Sweeney

I'm trying to findout what type of unit this soldier belonged too?

The badge on the helmet might be ASC--However, I've never been good at badge identification so I hope some better sharp eyed forum members may have better ideas.

He is wearing a simplified KD frock and "Shorts, Drill Khaki with turn-ups". These shorts were introduced with pattern 9312/1917--circa April 1917.

My detailed records for the MEF/EEF only go through Dec 1916. Up until Dec 1916 issues of shorts were only issued once to soldier and all from cut down Class W KD trousers. All types of specially made shorts came out in 1917.

I'm trying find-out if this type of short may have been issued to special units.

I am in the process of ordering all 1917 GROs from TNA, in the mean time I hope someone maybe able to identify the unit.

Joe Sweeney

post-57-076983500 1279485714.jpg

post-57-031267900 1279485731.jpg

Joe

The badge does appear to have the appearance of the ASC.

I don't know if my eyes are deceiving me but is there a shoulder title evident on his left shoulder? If it is then a close up of that may help.

Regards

Steve

Joe, the shape of the badge looks a little elongated for the ASC. The 5th Londons (London Rifle Brigade) has a badge of similar shape...but that's sheer guess work given the resolution.

Cheers

Peter

Have to say Joe, my aged eyes can't discern that badge that well. Is there anything you can do to make it a bit bigger?

Cheers,

GT.

Steve/Peter/GT,

Although I bought this postcard I actually do not have it in hand yet. My impatience forced me to left the image and post.

As soon as I get the im,age in hand I will try to scan better images of the badge and shoulder titles.

Joe Sweeney

Good call Peter - only thing is that I can't find anything suggesting that the LRB were MEF-ish. All F&F as far as I can tell.

Cheers,

GT.

Maybe the LRB cut a dash in their rakish summer uniforms 'somewhere in France'...wink.gif

P