Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1st Battalion Royal Munster Fusiliers

Mike Donoghue

My grandfather was in India with the RMF until 1912. Could someone help me with where his regiment was then . My best estimation is Nowshera, NWF, am I correct on that?

His record shows he was in India for over four years. Would he have stayed there the entire time without returning home on leave?

He was a Private. What rank enabled men to bring their wives to live with them?

Thank you very much in advance for your help.

Mike

• 2 months later...

Per McCance's regimental History p41+ in June 1911 orders were received to depart Nowshera for Rangoon. On 23rd Dec 1911 Bn entrained at Nowshera for Karachi, arriving on 25th so over 2 months spent at latter location as on 11th March 1912, embarked with 18 Officers and 847 ORs, 30 women and 76 children for Rangoon, Burma, arriving on 21st having dropped off a company en route at the Andaman Islands.

Four years without Leave may have been possible. Not sure about the marriage issue but if only 30 women present, one suspects officers and senior NCOs only.

If you have any other info, welcome to look things up - Name, number, where born, date enlisted, where enlisted, any WWI service etc

I'm also researching a relative who servered with Royal Munster Fusiliers in the 1st WW : John Callaghan (40304) but as he survived the war the information I have is all rather vague as apparently the numbering sytem was changed . It would seem he first joined at Aldershot in March 1914. I have tried to find his MIC but up to now had no luck though I did fínd several with a the same name but not his number.

He rejoined the the regulars (Royal Regiment of Artillery) at Buttevant Co. Cork in 1919 and it seems was sent to Rawlpindi (?) now part of Pakistan. He spent six years there and so far as I can establish he never came home during that time.

A school was set up in Rawlpindi by by the Presentation Sisters (an Religious Order founded in Co.Cork) for the chilidren of army personnel there in the late 1890s .So I presume there were quite a few families living there but I have no information as to who were permitted to take their families with them or how long they stayed.

This doesn't answer the questions posed but may add a bit to the general picture of postings to India.

Hello DanielO,

This may have nothing to do with your search for your John Callaghan, but when I cross referenced the number 40304 with the RMF, this man came up.

Medal card of Callaghan, J.

Royal Munster Fusiliers, Private, 10242.

Royal Dublin Fusiliers, Private, 40304.

Regards,

Sean

Hello Sean

Thanks for letting me know about J. Callaghan 10242 of the RDF.

I have obtained his MIC meanwhile and it is one of the strangest I have ever seen. I really don't know what to make of it.

The following appears on it.

At the very top line of the card handwritten: See J. Callaghan Iden.

Name: Thomas O'Donoghue

Corps : R. Mun. Fus.

O'Callaghan, John

No medals or date of entry are mentioned.

Then these numbers : NW/1/39978; /10/C/408; NW/3/1900

According to family heresay my relative was also at Gallipoli and it is possible that he was part of the RDF as I have read the Munsters were sent there to relieve the RDF at some stage

Have you any idea what it all means?

Best wishes

DanielO

Hi Danielo,

I have sent a PM to you with my e-mail address, it is very interesting and it could be an alias was used or something along those lines, there are many forum members who would know this by seeing this info so it could also be posted on MIC interpretation thread, just e-mail me a copy and we can get a bit more info. By chance was J Callaghan from the Mathey area of Co Cork or what area or county were the family from.

Regards,

Sean

Hello Sean

I have attached the MIC here. I had some difficulty with the size

I am inclined to think it was a simple human error in the entry but I'll leave it to the experts to see what they can make of it.

Best wishes

DanielO

MIC-S-7-10.doc

Hello DanielO

There are actualy three MICs involved with this man John Callaghan and linked to Thomas O'Donoghue, I have also got Thomas's navy record from 1918 to 1921, this Thomas was born in Cahardaniel Co Kerry 1897, but there is no mention of the Callaghan name on that. if you contact me on my e-mail sean9@iolfree.ie I will send you the three MICs and the record.

Regards,

Sean

Hello Sean

It seems rather odd that these two names should appear on the MIC and so far as I am aware there is no connection between them. It would be interesting to read the there other MICs and will email you.

Thanks for the offer.

Best wishes

DanielO

Hello Sean

Thanks for posting the MICs.

I am now beginning to believe your theory that Thomas O'Donoghue was an alias is correct

I will have to do some more research to see if I can find some kind of family connection between the two names.

Again many thanks

DanielO

• 10 years later...

I wonder if there would a response here considering that the last message was posted more than 10 years back. Requesting for help with 1 RMF.

The attached picture is from the Register of Internments in the Civil Cemetery Dalhousie maintained by St Francis Church Dalhousie. Two soldiers were buried in the Cemetery, Private Michael Clery (grave No. 14) and Private John Cullen (15) of the "1st (illegible)", with penciled remark "RMF" under both.

I am assuming that RMF is abbreviation of Royal Munster Fusiliers. (Page 1107 of the Monthly Army List for Jul 1904 ( https://www.google.co.in/books/edition/The_Monthly_Army_List/zk5EAQAAIAAJ?gbpv=1 ) shows the 1st Bn of the Royal Munster Fusiliers in Mooltan. Detachments from Mooltan (among other places) were stationed in Dalhousie, being in the hills.)

I am requesting for help in deciphering the illegible word - (could it be "Investers"?) . I can't find this as a nickname for the 1st Bn Royal Munster Fusiliers.

Any help will be much appreciated!

Regards, all.   

50171392_1RMF.jpg.0d8ba31b6cc358c1f233fdfcae332b71.jpg

Correction , for Jul 1904, please read Nov and Dec 1904

4 minutes ago, Jervis said:

It is “Munsters”. A widely used term for the RMF. 

Thank you!