Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

and another photo from the biscuit tin

reltubmada

Fantastic image, but with infuriatingly scant detail to help in identification.

Peter

Bloke in front right has shoulder titles that look solid, like the "CANADA" title.

I've never seen a lanyard with a ring like that.

sorry.... i have just worked out that the higher res images was not linking probably...

please try again and you may be able to see some more detail...

http://reltubmada.sm...937882033_4Vu64

the photo actually had some info - "To dear Sis from Will" and was addressed to Mr James Pring 2 Leyshon, Pontypridd.

so from my family tree - James PRING married Alice EVANS. She had a brother William EVANS.

I am guessing then that William EVANS is in the photo - he also was from Pontypridd - so would that make it a Welsh regiment?

The man sitting front right has 'block' shoulder titles; probably a corps (RFA, AOC, ASC, or similar). He's also got a square divisional patch on his upper left arm. The man standing at the back on the left has a cloth shoulder title visible just below his epaulette on his right arm.

The man sitting front right has 'block' shoulder titles; probably a corps (RFA, AOC, ASC, or similar). He's also got a square divisional patch on his upper left arm. The man standing at the back on the left has a cloth shoulder title visible just below his epaulette on his right arm.

are the knees of the trousers of gentleman seated on left torn or is it blemish on original photo??

Also the man on the back left is wearing tall lace-up boots or leggings. Perhaps a dispatch rider?

are the knees of the trousers of gentleman seated on left torn or is it blemish on original photo??

i did tidy up the photo a fair bit... but left that as i am pretty sure it is a hole in the trousers...

some how the gentleman standing on right of photo does not fit in, the gas mask container appears to be a rubberized sack???, the carrying straps are different than the others, no chin strap on helmet, the lanyard appears to be clipped onto his pocket, just my observations & opinion

regards

Bob R.

thanks very much everyone for the info...

the rubbery look is just from the smoothing i did to the photo... probably over did the post processing a bit...

i think he has the helmet strap behind his head... all the shadows and the buttons and seams on the uniforms match...