Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Portsoy Cemetery Banff

The Majors Batman

In Portsoy Cemetery Banffshire there are 2 headstone on which are commemorated family members on each of them are named person that do not appear on the D.o.H. at any location

The first is Robert Still "Died of wounds in France 11th June 1918, aged 29 years". Son of Francis & Elspet and I can not find him as listed, Also on the stone is his brother who is listed died 9th April 1917 age 24. Son of Francis and Elspeth Still, of 1, Culbert St., Portsoy, Banffshire. Buried I. A. 33. HIGHLAND CEMETERY, ROCLINCOURT. Who is also on the headstone

The second is Alexander Ross "Fell in action in France 18th July 1918, age 33" Son of William & Mary.

I have resorted to Geoff's Search Engine to no avail could either be a IFTC cases. Any help in locating them on CWGC D.o.H. would be greatly appreciated.

post-34992-020204100 1279380666.jpg

post-34992-053442000 1279380687.jpg

Guest KevinEndon

I have asked for these 2 men to be moved to the poss non comm section. Neither men show up on sdgw or cwgc so well spotted, would you be willing for the iftc team to take it on,

Kevin

Guest KevinEndon

A look on the Scottish National War Memorial site it gives us one Robert Still

Surname STILL

Firstname Robert

Service Number 121139

Date Death 27/05/1918

Decoration

Place of birth

Other

SNWM roll ROYAL GARRISON ARTILLERY

Rank Gnr

Theatre of death F.& F.

CWGC doesnt give us much clue as to where he was from

Name: STILL, ROBERT

Initials: R

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Royal Garrison Artillery

Unit Text: 286th Siege Bty.

Date of Death: 27/05/1918

Service No: 121139

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Memorial: SOISSONS MEMORIAL

The cwgc record for Robert Stills' brother is

Name: STILL, COLIN

Initials: C

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Gordon Highlanders

Unit Text: 1st/6th Bn.

Date of Death: 09/04/1917

Service No: 265104

Additional information: Son of Francis Still, of 1, Culbert St., Portsoy, Banffshire.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: I. A. 33.

Cemetery: HIGHLAND CEMETERY, ROCLINCOURT

There are 45 Alexander Ross' but none with the 18 July 18 date of death.

Kevin

121139 Robert Still died 27 May 1918 was born in Portsoy, his service record is on Ancestry so I think he is your man.

\Spoons

121139 Robert Still's service record confirms he declared he was born at Portsoy, Banffshire and that his father, Francis Still, was residing at West High Street Portsoy in 1919. Also that he was married and his wife was residing in Govan.

It also confirms the date of death as 27th May 1918. A case of the gravestone in error.

Alexander Ross was born at Boyndie. He is not listed on the Boyndie or Portsoy memorial.

Thanks one and all for that information regarding Robert Still I had a feeling that a clash of dates may have been causing the confusion, but no doubts when the parents given names can be linked to the casualty.

Guest derekmurray

Robert was one of eight brothers, at least four of whom served in uniform. One brother, Colin, died on the first day of the battle of Arras with 6th Gordons.

• 7 years later...

Robert Still was my dad's grandad so my great grandad, he date of death was estimated to be 27 may 2017 however his friend wrote home to my great gran to say he had buried him in on the 11th June 2018, its not clear in the letter if he had died before the 11th and was just buried then. He died in the third battle of the Asine. We are actually here on holday so will be visiting to pay our respects. 

On 12/07/2018 at 00:56, marion Still said:

he date of death was estimated to be 27 may 2017 however his friend wrote home to my great gran to say he had buried him in on the 11th June 2018

1917 and 1918

still not quite right?

Both dates should be 1918?

CWGC shows 27 May 1918 and the friend who buried him said that happened on 11 June 1918.

As he Died of Wounds according to the headstone in Post #1 then one of them must be right!

Looks to me like 11 June 1918 was the burial date rather than the death date.

The effects register also shows 27 May 1918 so somewhere before the records left the Base in France this date was decided to be the correct date of death.

His records (very feint) seem to show he was on a casualty list of 27 May 1918 but was originally reported as missing rather than dead. The acceptance of death was only later made after enquiries.

Craig