Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

SWB and Comrades of the Grea war badges, where

museumtom

I am badging up a civilian jacket that would have been worn by an ex-soldier. I have an SWB, Comrades of the Great war badge and a trio ribbon bar. I have the ribbon bar on the left, the swb on the right now where would the Comrades of the Great war badge go please? Any suggestions of other insignia etc to put on it?

Thanking you all in advance.

Kind regards.

Tom.

Hello Sepoy.

Many thanks for the picture. I wanted to be wanted to be 100% confident they were in the right place, however please have a look here

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,452099.0.html

You see my dilemma? It says it should be worn on the right hand side. I presume he means on the person's right hand side.

I am not questioning the photograph in any way shape or form.

Kind regards.

Tom.

I'm not convinced that there was any obligation to wear it on the right side. You will see them worn on either side. The photo posted by Sepoy is not reversed, the curve of the 'G' of 'GvR' is clearly visible on the right side (our left) of the badge. The Wikipedia article that was linked to the Rootschat thread seems to be the origin of the statements that it was to be worn on the right, yet the article doesn't cite any references. I can't ever remember seeing or hearing this before. The fact that the article also says that it was forbidden to be worn on military uniform seems superfluous; the award of the badge presupposes that the man would have been discharged as unfit for any further military service, so how could it ever be worn on military uniform? Actually, I have a couple of instances of men who were discharged unfit and who were awarded SWB's, but who apparently recovered after a year or so and then re-enlisted, though in each case they enlisted in another service. But I doubt that the author of the Wikipedia article had such cases in mind. And who exactly was supposed to enforce this rule, anyway?

I would be very interested to hear other views on this, but I believe that there is no dilemma; I doubt that there was an edict which stipulated that the badge was to be worn on the right side, and even if there was I do not believe that it was observed by everyone, as evidenced by Sepoy's picture, as well as some of my own. So don't worry about it, put the badge on either lapel and you'll almost certainly be doing the right thing.

Thanks headgardner.

Now I just have to figure out where the Comrades of the Great War badge goes, but I do have a clue. There is only one button hole on the left lapel and none on the right so it is decided for me.

May thanks for all your help.

Kind regards.

Tom.

Came across this in some service records of a chap i researched,looks like wiki may be right on this one :lol:

regards,John.