Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

WW1 railways

phil@basildon

The first mounting for the US Navy 14 inch railway gun wasn't completed until 25 April 1918, shipped to France in July and were only test fired by mid-August. According to Ian Hogg's 'Allied artillery of World War One', 'To Gun No 2 went the distinction of being the first American gun manne dby an American crew to fire an American shell against Germany during the First World War; this was fired on 6 September from a point in the forest of Compiegne against Tergnier, an important German rail junction. Between that shot and the end of the war a total of 782 rounds were fired'

I wonder what the reason for the cover on top of the breech was, it seems to be the only, at least Allied, railway gun with this feature, and conditions inside can't have been that pleasant, especially when the breech was opened after firing, compared to an open top piece

There are several others in the series, including a hospital train. I was going to post them on this thread over the next few days but I might wait until the mods have ironed out the problems with the new system.

I have just noticed that I have put this thread under the 'Uniform & Cap Badges'wacko.gif as the Mods are busy with getting the updating sorted out at the moment can any one tell me how to move it to a more appropiate heading?