Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The Essex Yeomanry

Temujin

My uncle John Gillespie (49708) was in the 9th Battalion Essex Regiment which I believe was known as the Essex Yeomanry. Later on it is supposed he joined the MMP as a Cpl, unfortunately the only record that I can glean from the records is teh one detailing his medals, as his original records were destroyed in WWII. He left behind an engraved cigarette case with the number 76692 as a Cpl in the MMP, bu this number does not match up with is name thus far. If anyone can help with any of the above, I would be most grateful.

Regards

Cathy Gillespie

Chris

Many thanks for your reply, and I'm amazed you managed to workk out my request with all those spelling mistakes..................

Regards

Cathy

Cathy

9th Bn Essex Regiment was a Service Bn. While there were several transfers of blocks of men from the Essex Yeomanry to the Essex Regiment (including some to the 9th Bn), your uncle's number, 49708, is not in any block that I recognise.

Thus unless you have some other evidence of prior service with the Essex Yeomanry, I suspect that there may be a mistake here.

His transfer to the Military Mounted Police must have happened after 11 November 1918 - if he had served overseas with the MMP during the war, that would normally be noted in the medal rolls and on the medal index cards.

I hope this helps

Ian

Cathy

9th Bn Essex Regiment was a Service Bn. While there were several transfers of blocks of men from the Essex Yeomanry to the Essex Regiment (including some to the 9th Bn), your uncle's number, 49708, is not in any block that I recognise.

Thus unless you have some other evidence of prior service with the Essex Yeomanry, I suspect that there may be a mistake here.

His transfer to the Military Mounted Police must have happened after 11 November 1918 - if he had served overseas with the MMP during the war, that would normally be noted in the medal rolls and on the medal index cards.

I hope this helps

Ian

Many thanks for this, it was just another avenue to consider and I suppose it's possible that he joined the MMP after the war. I will pass the message on to his son and then look up the MMP.

Regards

Cathy Gillespie