Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Petty Officer Stoker James BREDDY

Neil Clark

I found this on another thread (dorrie). Seems a shame if it's forgotten. I'm sure some navy non-com buff may wish to do him justice? Personally I try and steer well clear of sailors these days given my past experiences with that shower in Portsmouth. Good luck -

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=148953&st=0&gopid=1441581entry1441581

Sorry had him down as Able seaman he was in fact a Stoker below is the in formation I have on him partly taken from local paper

Stoker James Breddy died September 29th 1918

News reached Retford in October 1918 of the death of James Breddy, a stoker in the Royal Navy. His mother was informed that he had died whilst on board a Lighter. One of his jobs would have been to light the boilers for the engine. It was whilst doing this that the engine exploded covering him in hot paraffin from a blow torch he was using to light the engine. This caught fire causing extensive burns. Stoker Breddy was transported to a hospital ship where he received “ the best possible attention and most skilful medical and nursing treatment.” . Unfortunately the wounds were so severe that James Breddy died. The Retford Times reports that he was buried a “little English Cemetery abroad among the noble dead who like him , had been called to give their lives for their country” following a full Naval Ceremony.

The J Breddy refreed to in post above was his brother in fact four brother died in Great War, Ernest, John, William and the elusive James

thank Tim

Neil

have answered in the other thread; however will see what else I can dig up

Chris

Thanks for taking a look Chris. I was hoping that a REAL navy nut may wish to take it on... I suppose if no one wants it I will have to take it on myself. He deserves recognition that's for sure.

If you find anything more Chris, please update this thread accordingly....

Thanks mate.

Neil

Guest KevinEndon

Neil, if its any help the recent navy men who have go recognition went through well within 6 months, maybe the naval blokes within the MOD have either had their butts kicked to get a move on or there is new staff there, either way they have done a quick job, so there is hope for you if you take it on.

Kevin

See the other thread as the mystery seems to be solved