Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Identifying Regimental Uniforms

majones79

Hello,

I'm Mark Jones from N.Ireland. I understand that this forum is for the great war but as i've received excellent help in the past with my great grandfathers war history, i thought someone here may be able to help me with my Grandads WWII history. I'm trying to identify the regimental uniforms that my grandad is wearing in these photos. He is from County Londonderry, N.Ireland. I know that from his attestation sheet he enlisted in the Highland light infantry in July 1936. I also have a certificate to say that he was serving with the Royal Irish Fusilliers when they were presented with new colours at St James Palace in Nov 1937. From his own stories, i also know that he was a Tank driver during the war....possible with the Royal Armoured Corps. I think that the 1st photo, taken with is brother, is of them in the Royal Irish Fusilliers together in July 1939 India (going by the badges). Is the second photo (2nd topic...dark uniform) a Royal Armoured Corps uniform and can anyone tell me anything else about these photos. Also was it normal to be in as many regiments???

Many thanks for anyone who can help.

Mark

post-53053-017433100 1279190054.jpg

Going to stick my neck out on this one, because the collar badges blur when enlarged, but I believe we're looking at a lad serving with the 3rd Carabiniers(Prince of Wales Dragoon Guards), which was a cavalry unit of the Royal Armoured Corps.

Don't know if this bit fits but they abosorbed personnel of the disbanded 26th Hussars in 1943 and being supplied with Lee tanks served with 254th Indian Tank Brigade in India, December 1943.

Thanks Graham for your help. Didn't think i'd hear from anyone (being a WWII topic).

I'm nearly 100% sure he fought in India and Burma and that he was serving with the Royal Irish Fusiliers. I've attached an enlarged version of his lapels. I'm waiting on his army service record from the M.O.D. but apparently that may take some time. So do you think that this is definately a RAC uniform?

Mark

post-53053-061253300 1279196544.jpg

Good shot of the collars which aren't 3rd Carabiniers after all, but 25th Dragoons, which also went onto serve in Burma. Ironically they were formed from a cadre of the 3rd Carabiniers.

Graham, Is it likely then that he volunteered from the RIF to the 25th Dragoons when the regiment was raised? Did the 25th Dragoons form part of the 50th India Tank Bridgade? And lastly...do the two stripes on his left slieve again indicate service awards?

Thanks again,

Mark

The two inverted stripes on his lower left arm are his good conduct badges, but I'm unsure what the award terms at this period of time. His records will have details of when they were awarded. To be honest only his service records would clear up why he ended up in the Cavalry, but if he was a driver or tradesman then that would have been a help as usually units are reluctant to give up good men.