Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help with identifying uniform and cap badge

jaydon100

Hello,

Can anyone help me identify the uniform and cap badge in the attached family picture? I thought it might be the uniform of the Royal Field Artillery but I cannot make out enough detail to work out the badge. Also, does anyone know the significance of the arm band? Any observations/information would be most welcome!

Many thanks.

Jaydon

post-56704-040403900 1279146095.jpg

The armband seems to be the one denoting a signaller, although the lower half is a lighter shade than I would have usually expected. Cap badge? Royal Engineers? Definitely not Artillery.

The pattern of boots he's wearing was introduced on July 19th 1915.

Cheers,

GT.

Very much agree with GT, not an artillery badge by any stretch of the imagination, RE most likely. Ralph.

Hello both,

Many thanks for the replies. I am a complete novice at this and only thought it might have been field artillery as I found another picture on here with the same boots and stirrups and practically identical uniform, except for the arm band. I looked up the badeg for the RFA though and could see it was very different from the one in this pic. I am trying to amtch several pics to relatives war records. I have two who served in the South Wales Borderers and one who served in the Welsh division (4th) of the RFA Special Reserve. Looks like this is not any of them.

I would still welcome comments from anyone else who has further ideas.

Jaydon

Definitely Royal Engineers cap badge, and this very much in line with the blue and white signaller's armband as mentioned by GT. Mounted, he wears spurs and a 1903 pattern bandolier. Great photo, taken while he was 'somewhere in France', with the studio 'ruins' backdrop. It would look great restored, if you have photoshop.

Best

Peter

Thanks Peter. I will have to keep searching to see if I can find a a family member who was in the RE. I also have one who was in the Royal Army Medical Corp.

Quick clean up

post-14525-095305700 1279160257.jpg