Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

New CWGC Commemoration

Terry Denham

CWGC added the following WW1 casualty to the Debt of Honour today.

Warrant Engineer John Thomas ALLEN

HMS Repulse, Royal Navy

Died 14.05.21

Commemoration: Chatham Naval Memorial, Kent, UK

NOT FORGOTTEN

The above is an In From the Cold Project case.

W/Engineer Allen died of a gastric ulcer in Chatham (Volunteer: Kevin O’Neill)

May He Rest In Peace

Rest in peace sailor boy, gone and no longer forgotten. poppy.gif

http://www.twgpp.org/information.php?id=1634246

Could this possibly be this man buried Gillingham Woodlands Cemetery not on DoH only difference is Month of death

Now that is odd!

You may be onto something here. Looks like he's already commemorated. If so then it's the commission at fault here NOT Kevin. They should have picked up on it before handing it to the MoD for adjudication...

Nice find.

Guest KevinEndon

I am confused, a search for JT Allen only brings up this one

Name: ALLEN, JOHN THOMAS

Initials: J T

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Royal Navy

Unit Text: H.M.S. 'Repulse'

Date of Death: 14/05/1921

N.B.: This casualty has recently been accepted for commemoration by the Commission. However, it will not be possible to add his name to this Memorial immediately. Please contact the Commission before planning a visit, for more information.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: Addenda Panel

Memorial: CHATHAM NAVAL MEMORIAL

If you do a search on the cemetery report for Gillingham (Woodlands) Cemetery JT's name does not appear even with a March 21 date of death unless I am missing something,

Kevin

Neil is incorrect in his assumptions here. There has been no error. This casualty was not commemorated by CWGC and he has just been brought in from the cold this week. He was formerly uncommemorated.

What has happened is that his grave has been discovered by the WGPP team. His commemoration can now be correctly 'moved' to his grave. Well done.

The date is incorrect on the headstone as his service record clearly gives the date of death as per the CWGC entry. The headstone is one of a pattern often found in Royal Navy cemeteries/plots.

Thanks very much for the heads up Terry.

The POWRSA has had him listed online for a number of years, ( http://www.forcez-survivors.org.uk/casualtieslww2.html ) but we weren't aware he wasn't listed with the CWGC. To my shame I haven't checked all the names on there that fit within the qualifying dates.

I would add that the research for our online Roll of Honour was done by Don Kindell and we are indebted to him for that.

RIP John T. Allen.

Andy

No thanks necessary. In fact this event has had a spin off benefit.

It occurred to me that there may be other sailors with RN style headstones in Gillingham (Woodlands) Cemetery from this time period who were in the same position. WGPP was kind enough to co-operate with our search yesterday and with immediate success.

IFCP has about sixty naval cases from 1921 going through at the moment. It seems that someone at RN did not realise that Jan-Aug 1921 still qualified for CWGC commemoration and the names were never submitted. Amongst the cases still oustanding we found two more sailors buried at Gillingham with such headstones. Assuming these men are accepted for commemoration (both are in-service cases with full service record evidence so that is very likely), they will now be able to be commemorated at their grave site rather than on a memorial.

A good co-operative result all round. Three men now with known graves.

I shall be checking all of the Brookwood 14-18 Memorial names through the TWGPP search engine

• 2 months later...

Name: ALLEN, JOHN THOMAS

Initials: J T

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Royal Navy

Unit Text: H.M.S. 'Repulse'

Date of Death: 14/05/1921

N.B.: Recent research has shown that Warrant Engineer Allen is buried here.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: Naval 3. Grave 575

Cemetery: GILLINGHAM (WOODLANDS) CEMETERY

There we go all sorted out now

Thank you all very much for this, I will be changing his biography page on the Prince of Wales and Repulse Survivors Association website to reflect the commemoration.

A great result.

If I can find his contact details on my old computer, I'll also let the archivist Don Kindell know about it.

Many thanks to all concerned.

RIP John Thomas Allen.

Yours Aye.

Andy

so you will be telling Don. One less job for me then

Chris