Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Former 29th Division Ammunition Column, RFA

Neil Clark

DRIVER 46484 Daniel MOORE, Royal Field Artillery (RFA)

29th Divisional Ammunition Column RFA

After evacuating Gallipoli the 29th Division moved to Egypt. From Egypt the 29th was next moved to France. When the 29th Division moved to France (in October 1916 it was transferred to the 10th (Irish) Division) the original 29th DAC remained in Egypt. The former 29th Division Ammunition Column was tasked with going to Salonika next. While en-route to Salonika its ship (SS Marquette) was torpedoed by U35 on 23 October 1915 and more than 100 men were lost.

Surely after being split from the 29th Division they were given a new RFA unit designation? The 29th Division had by this time moved to France and got a new Ammunition Column.

I need to establish the following about the former 29th Division Ammunition Column which was moved to Salonka -

1. After the sinking what happened to the survivors? I am told by his son that his father left Salonika and then served in France until 1919.

I have been told that the survivors almost immediately went straight to France? It would be helpful to know if the 29th DAC remained as one unit or was it disbanded entirely and the men sent to other units? I suppose if all the men went to other RFA units it will be almost impossible to establish where this man went after surviving the sinking -

DRIVER 46484 Daniel MOORE, Royal Field Artillery (RFA)

His MIC doesn't help either, it only records EGYPT (Gallipoli) theatre. I can't find his service/pension papers either. Pity because I wanted to show these to his 77 year old son...

I want this information for the son of one of the survivors who lives next door. His father told him that after the sinking he went to France with most of his old mates from the 29th DAC.

Thanks

Neil