Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Charles Laughton

Mark Hone

Guest Ian Bowbrick

Is not Ronald Coleman's (the actor) attestation document the one featured in 'Army Records of the First World War'?

Ian :)

Pte Ronald Colman

Pte Stanley Spencer

Pte W.H. Richards

Gnr Philip Pearn

All are featured in 'Army Records of the First World War' to some degree.

How about a few more musicians? Captain B H Radford, known as Basil Hallam, served in the RFC and was killed in 1916. He was best known for "Gilbert the Filbert" from "The Passing Show" of 1914 -- a real K-nut!

Jack Payne and Jack Hylton, both prominent bandleaders in the 1930s & 1940s, also served in the Great War. Payne was a pilot in the RFC and Hylton was musical director for the 20th Hussars.

I love the music from the Great War until the 1940s -- even those pre-electric recordings! Some of the sopranos can be a bit much, though!

Cynthia

Also does anyone know the identity of the louche celebrity who when asked for his impressions of the war replied 'Oh, my dear! The noise. And the people!'

There are numerous contenders for this one, but one whose name is often mentioned is H.B. 'Binkie' Beaumont the noted West End theatre owner.

One of the most amazing cultural connection to the Western Front is the sculptor Henry Moore, later famous for his reclining figures with holes in them. He was badly gassed and ended up as ... a bayonet instructor. A connection perhaps?

Raymond Massey served with the Canadian artillery. I can recall him being interviewed in an old television documentary. He gave quite a vived account of the rain and mud of Salisbury Plain during the winter of 1914-1915. Of course I was not sure whether this was a distinquished veteran recounting his experiences or a consumate professional declaiming his lines. Am I being too cynical?

Jack Hylton’s first professional engagement, aged 13, was a summer season at Rhyl in 1905, as assistant pianist and boy-vocalist with a pierrot troupe (wonder what he thought of Oh What a lovely war?). He won the Legion d’Honneur and Officier l’Instruction Republique, but I don’t know when and for which war.

'Binkie' Beaumont was presumably referring to WW2, being too young for WW1.

Lee mentioned that Enzio Ferrari served in the Italian Mountain Artillery. Something that might not be well known is that the prancing stallion emblem of Ferrari perpetuates the memory of another famous Italian from the conflict, Maggiore Francesco Baracca, the top scoring Italian fighter pilot.

The stallion was Baracca's personal insignia, and was painted on the fuselage sides of his SPAD VII and XIII of the 91st Squadriglia of L'Aeronautica while he was achieving his 34 victories. After his death in action on 19 June 1918, the 91st Squadriglia was named after him by Royal decree.

I understand that Barracca's father was a friend of Ferrari's father, and that led to the adoption of the stallion as Ferrari's emblem.

An interesting point Dolphin... any one got any more on insignia used today that have a significance from this period?

John

John

It's probably not what you were seeking, but there's a reminder of the Great War on every aircraft carrier.

When the RNAS/RAF started experimenting with carrier deck landings, the aircraft used were usually rotary engined (the engine and propeller turned together) types such as Sopwith Pups and Ships' Camels. One of the consequences of using rotary engines in such lightly built aircraft was the considerable gyroscopic effect resulting from that mass of spinning metal, which meant that the aircraft lost height in a right turn and climbed in a [slower] left turn.

The aircraft's flight characteristics meant that in the event of a missed approach, the obvious option for the pilot was to turn left and gain height for another try, rather than turning right and descending closer to the sea. In order to reduce the chances of the aeroplane colliding with the ship, the bridge and associated structure was located on the right/starboard side. Today's carriers are still 'right hand drive' as the practice is continued, even though modern aircraft can climb equally well to both right and left.

Cheers

Dolphin

:blink: Don't even ask why I dreamed of Nigel Bruce last night -- I wasn't watching any old Sherlock Holmes movies! However, while looking some information up on him, I found he had served in the Great War, was severely wounded in the leg, and spent the duration in a wheelchair. It didn't say with what regiment he served, unfortunately. The only odd fact was he was born in Mexico while his parents were on holiday!

Cynthia

Elementary, my dear Cynthia! His parents were not short of a bob or two! Nigel was 19 at the outbreak and enlisted as a private in the Honourable Artillery Company, and wounded sometime in 1915. Sorry I can't be more specific.

Sir Lewis Casson, actor and theatrical producer. A succesful actor before the war, he married (Dame) Sybil Thorndike in 1908. He served in the ASC (MT) as a sergeant 1914 - 15 transferring to the RE Special Brigade the following year. rising to the rank of major and winning the MC. He was knighted in 1945.

His last stage appearance was in "Arsenic and Old Lace" in 1966 at the age of ninety.

Terry Reeves

B) Just call me the Queen of old movies! I was watching "The Enchanted Cottage" (again!) this weekend, and seemed to recall that Herbert Marshall had also served in the Great War and had lost a leg. Again, I don't know with which regiment he served (I bet Kate knows!) but being a child weaned on the old movies of the 1930s and all the trivia, it seems that someone told me about his injury.

I also think Eric Blore, who played those quintessential indispensable butler roles also served in the Great War.

Cynthia

Cynthia

Mum was a film fan, hence she chose to call me Katharine (note spelling) in deference to Hepburn, not forgetting Blake and Ross. I hardly ever go to the cinema now, and anyway the old 'uns are certainly the best. You can't beat an Ealing comedy (I never tire of Kind Hearts and Coronets - a masterpiece), Robert Donat's 39 Steps, the Marx Brothers etc. To business...

Herbert Marshall lost his leg in 1918, which didn't quell a passion for golf. Sorry I can't help with his unit at the moment, perhaps Terry (choc ice and a Kiora) Reeves will know.

Eric Blore ran the 38th Divisional Concert Party 'The Welsh Wails' in France 1917-19, so I assume he was with one of its component units.

Kate (and Cynthia)

How did you know about the choc ice and Kiora? Spooky. Anyway, I have had treatment for it. Wish I could kick the "sticking chewing gum to the seat" habit though.

Herbert Marshall served 1916-18 and did indeed lose a leg, unfortunately his unit remains a mystery. Although he wore a prosthetic for the rest of his acting career, it did not hamper his performances. He died in 1966.

Yours famously

Terry "back row" Reeves

Dear Terry and Kate,

Remind me to look at the seat before I sit down next time I am anywhere near Terry! Thanks for the info on Herbert Marshall and Eric Blore. As for the 'choc ice and Kiora,' well, I didn't know about it, but I do now!

Kate, I see that you are interested in musicians and music of the Great War. I don't know if that is strictly classical, or also popular, but if you need any information, one of my good friends is the discographer Brian Rust. He has given me endless cassette tapes of music from that era from his vast collection of 78s. If you need any assistance from him, I would be happy to give you the information.

Of course, I hope that one day I might actually get to have a real cup of tea made the proper way as you said you make it. Even though I lived in England, I only ever had tea made with tea bags! I guess they thought I wouldn't be able to notice any difference, being from the other side of the pond. At least I only drink real British tea now, because I can certainly tell the difference if I get something else!

Cynthia

:rolleyes:

• 7 months later...
Raymond Massey served with the Canadian artillery. I can recall him being interviewed in an old television documentary. He gave quite a vived account of the rain and mud of Salisbury Plain during the winter of 1914-1915. Of course I was not sure whether this was a distinquished veteran recounting his experiences or a consumate professional declaiming his lines. Am I being too cynical?

Raymond Massey was sent to Siberia, as part of the intervention forces I hasten to add. I came across him when trying to find out about one of my great uncles who was in Siberia in the Italian army.

"Massey fought in World War I for the Canadian army and was wounded twice. After recuperating he was sent to Russia with the army where he began organizing theatre groups to entertain the troops"

Anyone know more about where he was wounded? No jokes please!

http://www.dougmacaulay.com/kingspud/sel_b...tor_last=Massey

The famous comedian Max Miller, the 'cheeky chappie' 'mairy from the dairy' etc... also saw service in the army.

Brighton resident Max Miller, real name Sargant (sp?) served in the Royal Artillery. Being a bit of a "K-nut" he was nicknamed "Swanky" - Swanky Sargant

"Never be another lady, never be another. I've got two books here......."

"Max" Bygraves got his name from when doing Max Miller impressions whilst serving in the RAF in WW2. "Not a lot of people know that", with apologies to Michael Caine.

Sorry Beppo, can't help with the location of Massey's wound, physically or geographically. He rose to Captain in the Canadian Field Artillery, but I don't know if he joined them here or there.

(Sir) Arthur Bliss served as a subultern . Interestingly, his brother was killed. He was recognised as being the real artistic talent of the family reminding us of what creativity in all fields the world lost during the Great War.

Read all these posts with interest but most of the famous people identified in this discussion thread seem to be theatrical types; other professions are less well represented. One 1915 fatality I know of is never mentioned in any guide books etc. and is totally overlooked despite having been been a racing certainty for a Nobel Prize for his work (had he lived) and his death has been described in scientific circles as the "single most tragic loss in the war".

Does anyone know who he was or would anyone care to guess?

(P.S in case anyone thinks he was just some obscure "boffin" a simple serach on Google brings up over 300 pages on him. :o )

Also does anyone know the identity of the louche celebrity who when asked for his impressions of the war replied 'Oh, my dear! The noise. And the people!'

There are a number of contenders for this one, but there is a lot of support for H.B. 'Binkie' Beaumont, the noted impressario, producer and West End theatre owner.

It sounds like Coward - but it wasn't..

his death has been described in scientific circles as the "single most tragic loss in the war".

Does anyone know who he was or would anyone care to guess?

(P.S in case anyone thinks he was just some obscure "boffin" a simple serach on Google brings up over 300 pages on him. :o )

I can assure you that I have not looked on Google, but would I be right in thinking this was the physicist Moseley?

I cannot even wire a plug so I won't try and outline his achievements, but if this is the scientist you are thinking of N.Soul, then he died at Gallipoli with the Royal Engineers.

Do I win a coconut?

Interested to see Cynthia's mention of Gilbert the Filbert - Capt Basil Hallam Radford. Radford joined the RFC in 1915 and served initially with No 3 Army Kite Balloon Section on the Western Front. In 1916 he was serving with No 1 Army Kite Balloon Section when his balloon broke free. His fellow observer jumped and landed safely, but Radford, for reasons never established, was seen to fall onto the Acheux Rd without his parachute attached. He is buried in Couin Military Cemetery.

As well as being a popular pre-war entertainer, he was also something of a society favourite, especially amongst the ladies. He was vying for the affections of Diana Cooper, with Raymond Asquith, who, on hearing of Radford's death wrote to her that Hallam "was dreadfully forshortened and that he was only recognised by his cigarette case". All's fair in love, war and death it would seem.

Another man who was well established in more serious acting prior to the war, and rarely, if ever mentioned, was Major Lewis Casson. Knighted in 1945 for his services to the theatre, Casson was the husband of Dame Sybil Thorndyke. He served as a Sgt in the ASC, 1914-1915 before being commissioned into the Royal Engineers with whom he served in the Special Brigade commanding "G" and "M" Special Companies. Wounded in July 1917, he also won the Military Cross. Post war he was a successful theatre impressario.

Terry Reeves