Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Can someone identify this regiment?

Guest timelord

Guest timelord

The picture is of my grandfather, Joseph Maddox Gough. Can anybody identify the regiment and rank as shown here please? grandad.jpg

I believe that the Shoulder title reads "King's" which was worn by the King's (Liverpool Regiment). The collar badges were worn by Pioneers which probably indicates he was a member of the 11th (Service) Battalion (Pioneers), The King's (Liverpool Regiment). Unfortunately, I am just off to work so dont have the time to look and see whether he has a Medal Card on the National Archives site or Ancestry. I am certain that someone out there will be able to confirm whether I am right or wrong!

Cheers

Sepoy

KING's Reg for me.

KING's Reg for me.

Agree with both of the above. As no one has mentioned rank - he is wearing sergeant's stripes.

Chris

EDIT: quick scan of the National Archive does not immediately find JM Gough Sgt. but I did find J Gough (Corp)Liverpool Regt. 12784 HERE

Edited by 4thGordons

He's a sergeant, I agree with my learned colleagues that the shoulder title looks like 'KINGS'. The collar badges tell us that he was in a pioneer battalion. If the 11/KLR was the only pioneer battalion, then that's your answer. Always remember that he may have transferred to other battalions ihn the same regiment. May also have served in other regiments.

The MIC may reveal more. Or his service records, if they exist.

Guest timelord

Blimey guys, that was quick and fulsome. Thank you very much! Any Idea where I can find out where his regiment fought etc?

I believe that the Shoulder title reads "King's" which was worn by the King's (Liverpool Regiment). The collar badges were worn by Pioneers which probably indicates he was a member of the 11th (Service) Battalion (Pioneers), The King's (Liverpool Regiment). Unfortunately, I am just off to work so dont have the time to look and see whether he has a Medal Card on the National Archives site or Ancestry. I am certain that someone out there will be able to confirm whether I am right or wrong!

Cheers

Sepoy

Thank you! Sounds right as he was a scouser!

Blimey guys, that was quick and fulsome. Thank you very much! Any Idea where I can find out where his regiment fought etc?

From TLLT: (see link top left of screen)

11th (Service) Battalion (Pioneers)

Formed at Seaforth on 23 August 1914 as part of K1 and attached as Army Troops to 14th (Light) Division.

11 January 1915 : converted into Pioneer Bn.

Landed in France on 30 May 1915.

27 April 1918 : reduced to a cadre. returned to England on 17 June and absorbed into 15th Bn, the Loyal North Lancashire Regiment.

andHERE IS A LINK TO THE LISTING OF THEIR WAR DIARY its at WO95/1890

Chris

Having now returned from work, I thought I would have a quick look for Joseph Maddox Gough on Ancestry.co.uk.

Looking at the Medal Card for 12784 Corporal Joseph Gough, Liverpool Regiment, as mentioned above by 4thGordons, it appears that this soldier did reach the rank of Sergeant.

The 1914-15 Star was awarded to him as a Cpl and the British War Medal and Victory Medal were awarded to him showing the rank of Sgt.

He landed in France on 19th May, 1915.

The only way to confirm that this the correct Joseph Gough is to check the Medal Roll held at the National Archives as this will, hopefully, show his Battalions.

There are no Service Papers shown on Ancestry for Joseph Maddox Gough, and no other medal cards to a Sgt Jospeh Gough in the KIng's (Liverpool Regiment).

Sepoy

Looking at the Medal Card for 12784 Corporal Joseph Gough, Liverpool Regiment, as mentioned above by 4thGordons, it appears that this soldier did reach the rank of Sergeant.

The 1914-15 Star was awarded to him as a Cpl and the British War Medal and Victory Medal were awarded to him showing the rank of Sgt.

He landed in France on 19th May, 1915.

The only way to confirm that this the correct Joseph Gough is to check the Medal Roll held at the National Archives as this will, hopefully, show his Battalions.

The 11th KLR only landed in France on 30th May 15. Advance parties could have landed earlier than the main body of the battalion, but that would generally only be 2 or 3 days before in my experience. 11 days seems like a suspiciously long time. Yet, at the same time, it's also suspiciously close to the date that 11/KLR landed in France.... Another 8 battalions of the KLR were in France at the time, mostly TF units, and your man's number isn't right for a TF unit.

He may have served with more than one battalion, as I said earlier.

Either the date on the MIC is wrong, or this Joseph Gough was a reinforcement for 1/KLR or 4/KLR (maybe he transferred to 11/KLR at a later date), or he was with 11/KLR when he arrived in France a full 11 days before the rest of his battalion. You definately need either his service papers or a look at the medal rolls.