Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Training in the Tank Corps

Guest sbull

Could anyone knowledgeable about the Tank Corps (and its predecessor the Heavy Branch Machine Gun Corps) give me some idea how long training usually took in the Tank Corps?

I know that my grandfather fought in the Tank Corps on the first day of the Battle of Arras (i.e. 9/4/1917). I am attempting to arrive at some conclusion as to when he was likely to have joined the Tank Corps. I think it is unlikely that he fought with them at the Battle of the Somme.

He was most likely a gunner in the tanks at Arras. How long before the Battle of Arras began would he be likely to have needed to join the HBMGC in order to be in action on 9th April?

Simon Bull

Simon,

Can't think of any books off-hand although I am sure that many are out there. One good place to try is the Tank Museum at Bovington. I don't know there contact details but I'm sure you'll find them on the web

Good luck.

Iain

Simon;

Re our previous discussions, I should be seeing our resident Heavy Branch, Motors and Armoured Car units expert in a fortnight's time and will ask him then. (He's an ex-RTR technical Warrant Officer and has good links to Bovington in every respect).

Unfortunately, he isn't online.

There was a big fat book from Faber about 18 months ago (sorry, forget the author) just called 'Tank' which had all this stuff in it. I haven't noticed it appearing in paperback, so you're talking 25 quid. David Fletcher on line in the Library of the Tank Museum will have it all in his head.

Thanks for all the help. I shall follow up re Jim Parker when I have time (a bit snowed under with work at present). I should have thought of David Fletcher, with whom I have corresponded before and who was very helpful about the circumstances in which my grandfather was taken prisoner.

Look forward to hearing the results of your enquiry, staffsyeoman.

Thanks again

Simon Bull

I can remember seeing when I was a lad walking towards Kilverstone, Nr Thetford, Norfolk, a small headstone in the bushes by a track with an inscription saying something along the lines of:-

" In this field the King inpected the first Tank Corps in 1916"

or words to that effect.

I recently drove through Thetford and even thought about trying to find it again. There is now new housing creeping further towards Kilverstone.

For those who are not aware, Kilversone is the estate owned by Lord Fisher 1st Sea Lord 1904-1910. The Admiralty ( including Winston Churchill ) were instrumental in the development of the Tank!!

Guest Ian Bowbrick

Simon,

I have a copy of 'The Tank Corps' by William Ellis published in 1919. It has in it a case study of the training undertaken by Tank crews. If you want I would be happy to photocopy this section and mail it to you. Please e-mail me.

Ian :D