Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Paul von Lettow-Vorbeck

mthatcher61

Hi, I am going to be doing a research course for a Connecticut University this fall on WWI in GEA. I am trying to find any pre war info on Paul von Lettow-Vorbeck. Specifically looking for anything about his involvement in the Herrerro/Nama rebellion of 1904-1909. I have just recieved his "My Reminiscences of East Africa". It doesnt look like he says much about his tour in GSWA. Anything would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Mark Thatcher

• 2 weeks later...

From what few sources I can find, obviously Lettow was in China for the Boxer Rebellion - although I don't know what capacity. The Germans arrived late and did not participate in the relief of Peking but certainly earned a name for them during the 'peace keeping mission' afterwards. It seems the Kaiser gave the departing troops instructions that would later on bear fruit for the Allies propaganda campaign.

"German troops came in for criticism for their enthusiasm in carrying out Kaiser Wilhelm II's July 2 order to "make the name German remembered in China for a thousand years so that no Chinaman will ever again dare to even squint at a German". This speech, in which Wilhelm invoked the memory of the 5th-century Huns, gave rise to the later derogatory English usage of the latter term for their German enemy during World War I. "

Lothar von Trotha who ruthlessly put down the insurrection in GEA during 1894, was brigade commander of the East Asian Expedition Corps during the Boxer rebellion and finally earned his own lasting notority as German military commander universally condemned for his conduct of the Herero Wars in South-West Africa, especially for the events that led to the near-extermination of the Herero. it seems that Lettow served under him in China and was his adjutant during 1904-1906 during the Herero 'Genocide'.

Trotha must have seen somthing he liked in the young Lettow-Vorbeck to make him his adjutant. Also Lettow-Vorbeck left GSWA after recieving a wound to his eye from a Herero warrior in 1906. von Trotha was relieved of his duties in 1906 after reports of his brutality and extermination techniques reached the Reichstag.

I would like to find an english translation to Lettow-Vorbecks "Mein Leben" published in 1957. Is there any out there?

Can anybody point me in the right direction?

Thanks.

Mark Thatcher

Hi Mark

Unfortunately I don't kow about the translated version of the book you're looking for.

However, I'm currently working my way (paintstakingly with an English-German dictionary) through 2 German biographies on VL. If my understanding is correct, according to Uwe Schulte-Vardendorff, Kolonialheld fur Kaiser und Fuhrer: General Lettow-Vorbeck, VL was seen as quite a military student which saw him provided with various opportunities. For example, having started his military training in 1881 in Potsdam, he was involved in the Birthday feast of the Kaiser on 22 March 1887, and was awarded the highest cabinet award/order before being appointed to the 4th Foot Garderegiment in Spandau.

He was then appointed on 1 April 1899 to a department dealing specifically with England and her colonies (from the list given, I interpret this to be the military section of the Colonial Office). It was here that he gained his theoretical knowledge of the colonies before being sent to China and then South West Africa. His stint in China ensured he was knowledgeable on supplies and logistics. In South West Africa, he seemed to have a number of roles. I haven't concentrated on these as they don't form part of my interest, but he seemed to have a slightly different approach to Trotha which possibly caused difficulties.

He returned to Germany in September 1906 and retired from the Schutztruppe to take up service in the German army for about 6months, receiving promotion on 14 April 1907 to Major and appointment to Adjutant of XI Armeekorps in Kassel. On 28 February 1909 he seems to have joined the Marines as a commander of the 2nd Seebataillons in Wilhelmshaven. He received promotion in 1913 to Obersleutnant and was appointed as Commander of the Schutztruppe in Cameroon. From there he moved to GEA in April 1914.

The other book which I am yet to tackle is by Eckard Michels, Die held von Deutch-Ostafrika: Paul von Lettow-Vorbeck.

Hope this helps a tad.

Anne

Thank you Anne,

I appreciate this. I was wondering how time intensive it would be to try hand translating something like that. There seems to be a wealth of knowledge about VL, just not in english. I have seen the two books you mentioned for sale on the web and I have looked for Mine Leben, but I dont have the time to spend on translation.

The particular times I am interested in about VL is when he would have interacted with Trotha. Specifically China and GSWA. I would also like to know more about the actions of the German Expeditionary Force in China. Specifically what I am digging for is how VL felt about or treated foreign natives, such as the Chinese, Hererro and Nama. which should have a direct bearing on how he treated the men in the askari in the Schutztruppe. Again, getting back to the question of, if the Germans treated the Herrero, Nama and Maji-maji so heinously in the 1st decade of the 20th century, how did VL get them to perform so bravely and faithfully only 10 years later?

Thanks

Mark

Specifically what I am digging for is how VL felt about or treated foreign natives, such as the Chinese, Hererro and Nama. which should have a direct bearing on how he treated the men in the askari in the Schutztruppe. Again, getting back to the question of, if the Germans treated the Herrero, Nama and Maji-maji so heinously in the 1st decade of the 20th century, how did VL get them to perform so bravely and faithfully only 10 years later?

Hello Mark

at first my apologies for the crude english, as I am german

I have just a few thoughts:

there was a great difference between treatment of indigenous population who fought against german colonial rule and these who were members of the Schutztruppe.

There were always different tribes in GEA, as Wahehe, Yao, Wanjamwesi etc ( at last 120 different tribes or so)

The majority of volunteers came from the Wanjamwesi-Tribe, while the equal warlike Wahehe were the enemies during the Hehe-wars and thus distrusted

The Maji-Maji was a revolt with origins in the less acsessed south of the colony in some ways similar to the Hehe-wars

In fact, theSchutzruppe were in some ways more like the french foreign legion

But it is a myth of the faithfully Askari, especially in the last Phases of the campaign

desertion was since the hard times at the Rufiji in 1916 a common problem

The treatment as a rule of thumb was iron prussian discipline during active duties, but a great deal of tolerance for the specific african peculiarities after official hours

but to be a member meant great prestige and some wealth

At last it was generally accepted that Askari (no matter of origin i.e. british, belgian or german) had the tendency to follow a trusted leader than King or Kaiser or else

And this was the person of Lettow-Vorbeck without doubt

(IMHO in the last Phases after the withdrawal to PEA it has in many ways more the appearance of a condottiere with his personal body of soldiers than any regular Army)

cheers

Olav

Perhaps this may be helpful:

http://www.dtic.mil/...oc=GetTRDoc.pdf

http://www.dtic.mil/cgi-bin/GetTRDoc?AD=ADA392278&Location=U2&doc=GetTRDoc.pdf

http://www.dtic.mil/cgi-bin/GetTRDoc?AD=ADA417332&Location=U2&doc=GetTRDoc.pdf

http://translate.goo...pdf&sl=de&tl=en

Thank you Olav for the links, I had the 'Elephants Collide" document but the others are new to me and very interesting. Your english is fine and your thoughts are well appreciated. You as a German, have a different perspective that I am very interested in. The documents and resources available to you, especially as primary sources are fantastic. I am thinking I may have to learn German just to mine the best historical data.

You as a German, have a different perspective that I am very interested in. 

I am at your command ;o)

cheers

Olav

I would like to find an english translation to Lettow-Vorbecks "Mein Leben" published in 1957. Is there any out there?

Can anybody point me in the right direction?

The book itself is very rare, but:

Chapter about GSWA from "Mein Leben" at Lettow-Vorbeck Family website http://www.lettow-vorbeck.de/

http://www.dpat.de/lv/mein_leben3.pdf (17 pages)

With C&P you may copy page by page into translate.google.com

Example:

In the spring of 1904 were for South West Africa, where the

Herero uprising broke out, positioned reinforcements.

I asked, sent along with my company closed

and to be reported to General von

Trotha, the commander in after a newspaper report

South West Africa should be. He asked me if I do not

again wanted to be an aide with him. I then

the War Department in the preparation of the reinforcements

cooperated. As commander Trotha then really

was from the southwest, he surprised me with the

Notice that the post otherwise occupied as adjutant

would be, and I replied that I to this position

no special value and willingly put in the front

Went along.

cheers

Olav

Thanks so much Olav, this is good. I do realize that I am going to have to learn proper German to better access war records and documents. Obviously google gives literal translation (as best they can) without taking into consideration Grammer.

Much appreciated,

Mark

• 4 months later...

Mark

seems I´vefound what you searched:

"They walk through the fire like the blondest German" :

African Soldiers Serving the Kaiser in German East Africa (1888-1914)

by Michael von Herff

http://digitool.libr...object_id=60565

This well written and researched Thesis gives a detailed insight of the lives and duties of the Askari, explains their motivations and removes some popular myths

The chapter„sources" is a little treasure of it´s own

cheers

Olav