Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

5th Yorks

Rodge Dowson

Beck Isle Museum in Pickering, North Yorkshire are working with students from 4 local secondary schools on researching local men of the 5th Bn. Yorkshire Regiment. If anyone can help we would like to get copies of the 1915 Star medal roll and also the battalion war diary. We are able to cover costs of postage and reproduction/copying fees etc. Thanks Rodge

Rodge

There are two War Diaries for 5 Battalion Yorkshire Regiment in the Nat Archives Catalogue:

WO95/2836 which covers their time with 50 Division and runs from landing in France in Apr 1915 to Jul 1918. This is a digital file and can be downloaded now, in it's entirety, for GBP3.50,a bargain !

On the other hand the second Diary,WO95/2583, which covers their time with 39 Division from Aug to Nov 1918,seems not to be digital as yet,and might cost you a pretty penny to acquire a copy,unless either someone here has a copy to share,or any other Yorkshire Museum/Library may already have copies. Have you tried the Green Howards ?

The 1914-15 Star Medal Rolls is a bit more complex.There are three Ledgers at the NA covering the issue of these medals to Other Ranks (WO329/2669;2670 and 2671),and one for Officers (WO329/2948), of the Yorkshire Regiment as a whole. They are unlikely to (but just might) discriminate between Battalions so the listings are probably going to be a mish-mash which will require careful scrutiny in order to capture all of the soldiers of the 5th. Again the Green Howards or Museums might be able to help.

Sotonmate

Hi Sotonmate, many thanks for this helpful advice, the GHRM whom I have worked with before don't have diaries for the 5th. I will download the digital copy to start with. We have some funds available, so it would be useful if anyone could provide a price to copy the 15 star pages? Being a Territorial battalion with similar numbers to sister battalion 1/4th it is not as easy as putting a service battalion database together for the initial battalion members. Thanks I appreciate it, regards Rodge

• 4 weeks later...

Rodge

Did you receive my PM on this subject ? Sent a couple of weeks ago.It may have been gobbled up by the GWF format changeover.

Sotonmate