Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

harold bache

enoch beard

hello all,i have been asked to find further information on 2/lt harold bache , so here is the information from west bromwich albion -a complete record

Harold bache- born churchill nr kidderminster aug 1889

died France k.i.a. feb 1916

career- king edwards grammar school -brum

cambridge uni

corinthians

west bromwich springfield

eastbourne

west bromwich albion feb 14- feb 16

Harold bache was a quite brilliant amateur international centre forward who looked destined for all the major soccor honours til tragtey struck when he was serving with lan fus in 1916 when he wasonly 26 years of age, standin 5ft 8 inches tall and weighing barely 10 stone, bache was so skilful and positive in everything he did that his slight build was insignificant because war interupted league football,he played only 14 games for albion, scoring 4 goals but had been a england amateur international long before he moved to the hawthorns in 1914. he collected 7 caps(1910-13) and in one game against france at ipswich in 1910 he scored 7 of englands goals in there 20-0 victory. bache also played for football league in 1914 and besides being a superb soccor player, he exceled at rugby union, cricket with worcestershire, tennis and athetics. he as was a grand sportman in every sense of the word. a man who was respected in the sporting world.

Albion debut againest aston villa F.A. cup 21st feb 1914(away)

league debut againest newcastle 2nd sept 1914(away)

i will keep digging- enoch

p.s. has anyone seen my shovel?

CWGC

BACHE, HAROLD GODFREY

Initials: H G

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment: Lancashire Fusiliers

Unit Text: 10th Bn.

Date of Death: 16/02/1916

Additional information: Son of William and Frances Mary Bache, of West Bromwich.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: Panel 33

Cemetery: YPRES (MENIN GATE) MEMORIAL

Just to add a bit of confusion, SDGW have him as being killed in action on 15th February 1916.

Steve

Dick Flory in Document repository, Reference books, 'British school registers and rolls of honor, lookups offered' thread, has King Edward VI school roll of service, which will include his dates at the school. Mind you, there are (now) at least four King Edward Shools in Birmingham!

VivP

Harold Bache attended "King Edwards School, Birmingham" (not Camp Hill; Not Five Ways or any other "additional describer"). The King Edward is King Edward VIth and dates back to 1552. Harold attended the school when it was sited in New Street Birmingham, backing on to the railway station. The site is now a cinema (the ABC, though it has probably changed name by now); the school is now in Edgbaston Park Road adjacent to Birmingham University.

Their roll of honour has been reprinted by Naval & Military and includes all who served. I don't have my copy to hand at present, so can't check the entry for the moment.

He is commemorated, along with all the others who died from the school, on the panels in the school war memorial, a substantial chapel standing in the school grounds. He is also remembered, as I understand it, through the schools annual "Bache Memorial Prize".

I hope this helps.

Martin

:lol: Thankyou for putting me right, Martin! Just shows what can happen when the only place in Birmingham that I know is the Queen Elizabeth Hospital!

VivP

:lol: Thankyou for putting me right, Martin! Just shows what can happen when the only place in Birmingham that I know is the Queen Elizabeth Hospital!

VivP

Viv,

The Queen Elizabeth Hospital is a short walk from King Edwards School Birmingham - across the Birmingham University Campus!

Martin

Hi Enoch.

You may be interested to know that Harold Bache, along with approx another 100 men from the Staffs area were posted to the 10th Lincs (Grimsby Chums) in October 1914, all becoming members of D Company and having 10th Lincs numbers between 813 and 917. Harold BAche starred in a fund rasing match at Blundell Park in Oct 1914 playing for the 10th Lincs against the 5th Lincs. The 10th Lincs winning 3-2, with Bache scoring twice. Shortly afterwards he was commissioned out, although i cannot find the date to hand. Also of interest to you may be the fact that an Eric Bache (903 10th Lincs and part of the same draft), was commissioned out of the Chums on the 16th Oct 1914.

Chris

Harold Bache was also prominent at a recruiting rally held on 24 October 1914 at The Hawthorns, the home ground of West Bromwich Albion, following a match against Bolton Wanderers. The intention was to form an “Albion Company” from supporters and local footballers that would serve together with the Reserve Battalion of the 5th South Staffords. The appeal met with some success and, by the following Tuesday, it was reported that 42 men had put their names forward and were being sent to Walsall to be attested.

thanks all for information,

in the west bromwich book of rememberance(which is suposed to list all men who served) which list harold bache.it also lists francis ERIC l bache captain M.C. s.staffs (it does not list him killed) strange thing the london gazette lists him as eric bache

temp captain eric bache 1st staffs l.g. 26.7.1918 pg 8772

for conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty in command of his company and later the battalion,when his c.o. became a casualty. he made a personal reconnaissance, when the situation was obscure,getting with 15 yards of the enemy, and later extricated his battalion from a difficult position without loss.

also listed in the west bromwich book is lt geoffrey bache smith lan fus who died in 1916 ,who was a good friend of j.r.r. tolkien and should be on the roll of king edwards school . another possible relation?

enoch

thanks all for information,

in the west bromwich book of rememberance(which is suposed to list all men who served) which list harold bache.it also lists francis ERIC l bache captain M.C. s.staffs (it does not list him killed) strange thing the london gazette lists him as eric bache

temp captain eric bache 1st staffs l.g. 26.7.1918 pg 8772

for conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty in command of his company and later the battalion,when his c.o. became a casualty. he made a personal reconnaissance, when the situation was obscure,getting with 15 yards of the enemy, and later extricated his battalion from a difficult position without loss.

also listed in the west bromwich book is lt geoffrey bache smith lan fus who died in 1916 ,who was a good friend of j.r.r. tolkien and should be on the roll of king edwards school . another possible relation?

enoch

J R R Tolkien was also an old boy of King Edwards School, being an Old Edwardian was (and still is) quite a cachet. Numbered amongst more recent OEs is David Willets (Shadow Cabinet) and, of more interest to WW1 historians, Simon Badsey (IWM; Sandhurst etc. and author of several books).

JRR Tolkien was at the School from 1903-1911 and served with Lancs. Fusiliers, initially the 13th (Lt. July 1915) and then on active service with the 11th (1916 to France). Beaumont Hamel, Schwaben Redoubt. He was invalided home in Sept 1916. July 1917 Lt., Signal Depot. Employed Ministry of Labour. His brother also attended the school and served.

HG Bache. at school 1898 - 1908 Oct 1914 2/lt 10th Lancs Fus France; Bombing officer Ypres Salient; Sanctuary Wood. Killed Feb 15 1916, by a sniper, just after returning from an attempt to regain a lost trench.

FEL Bache MC attended school from 1893 - 1900 1914 private 10th S Staffs. Nov 1914 2/lt 5th Bn TF Nov 1914 to 10th Bn; 3rd Bn; 1st Bn France. Feb 1916 Capt. wounded 1918 MC July 1918

G B Smith Attended school 1905 - 1913 Dec 1914 2/Lt 8th OBLI. 2/Lt 19th Lanc. Fus. June 1915 Lt. France. DoW (received 3 days earlier), at Warlencourt Dec 3rd 1916.

With a name like Enoch you must be a devout Blackcountyman!

Again I hope that this helps.

Martin

martin,wasnt david willets one of the tories caught accepting brown envelopes in the last tory government?

anyway i come from a long line of drunken oldbury labourers!

ive got a boring first name ,so i use my grandfathers

enoch

Enoch,

I think at this point I shall gently remind myself that by the rules we leave modern politics for discussion elsewhere and thereby avoid having to discuss the debacle of the paymaster general. Lets stick with Stephen Badsey as a WW1 historian of note!!

Did you go to the Black Country Museum for the first of the years two events using the period village setting to relive some of the great war. I believe that there is another to come later in the year. Not far from Oldbury even if it is a bit too near Lower Gornal!

Regards,

Martin

martin,

i havnt been to black country museum for years,my lad went there on a school trip , a few months back. i think sometimes they gloss over how tough life was in the past.by the way i havnt lived in oldbury since a child, i used to drink in oldbury when i younger but a barstool across the back of the head stopped that!

enoch

i forgot to mention my in-laws live sedgley

Neither,

Harold or Eric are mentioned on the MIC as being anything other than officers but they were both in the Grimsby Chums, 10th Lincolns, before being commissioned.

Chris, you'll have to post the teams for the big match from the newspaper!

Come on then Enoch, what's the 'boring' first name?

Cheers,

Steve.

steve , i forgot to mention i looked though white shirt black country, 2/lt bache isnt mentioned,probably because wasnt a full international(profesional) and born just outside the black country in kiddi

enoch

Thanks Enoch,

I'm assuming 'White Shirt, Black Country' is a recently written book? If so it's funny how time and perspectives change.

Grimsby Town had an amateur international playing for them just before the war, Harold Springthorpe (mentioned on the footballers thread). Springthorpe joined the Lincolnshire Yeomanry and died on his way to Mesopotamia when the ship he was on got torpedoed.

I recently found a letter in the personal columns of the local paper, which stated the he was a true gentleman who never 'looked down' upon the professional players and would never play if it meant them losing their wages!

Mr Abramovitch wouldn't know what to do with him would he? ;)

Steve.

steve,most of the men in the book played for the albion or w***** ,there are teams who won the f a cup for albion, where 10 players came from the black country!

you are lucky to find one local player in team nowadays!

enoch

• 1 year later...

Hi,

Just bringing this thread back up.

I am interested in a Lt Douglas Edward Gosling of the 1st North Midland Field Company, North Midland Division, Royal Engineers.

Gosling was born in Edgbaston Birmingham and was formerly a Cadet Lance Corporal, Kings Edward's School, Birmingham, Junior Division, Officer training Corps, he left the school in 1910 and was commissioned to the R.E. as 2nd Lt 17.7.1912.

Gosling gives his profession as 'manufacturer' his father Howard was a 'master cooper' so may have had a family business. During the war the family address was 'Courtlands' Oxford Rd Mosely, Birmingham.

For anyone who has Middlebrook's, 'Captain Staniland's Journey' Gosling 'may' be photographed among a group of 4th Lincolns Officers.

On May 20th 1915, after the explosion of a German mine under a trench called E1 Left in the Kemmel sector, Gosling, who was assisting the 1/5th Lincolns, rushed across the open from trench E1 Right to try and rescue pte. Harry Carlton Gibson who was buried up to his neck and under sniper fire. Gosling was one of several rescuers killed. Gibson was dug out but died three days later.

Is this likely to be the same King Edwards School as mentioned above? And if so will Gosling be on the memorial? Also from the brief information given would any pal local to the Birmingham area have any further clues about the family? Does Oxford Rd still exist?

A long shot indeed, but one never knows.

Best regards,

Steve.

Name: GOSLING, DOUGLAS EDWARD

Initials: D E

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment: Royal Engineers

Unit Text: 1st N. Midland Field Coy.

Date of Death: 20/05/1915

Additional information: Son of Howard and Nellie Gosling, of "Courtlands," Oxford Rd., Moseley, Birmingham.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: VI. 3.

Cemetery: DRANOUTER CHURCHYARD