Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Oliver Hugh Ormrod RFC

Simon Birch

Good Afternoon All,

I am hunting (with LST 164) information on the accident that befell the above named officer, at Gosport on 12th September 1916. We have his Aero Club info, medal card and a very slim AIR 76 file - but nothing on the accident at all. Does anyone know anything we do not....

Thanks for your help,

Simon

I perhaps should have mentioned that, on his Aero club photograph he appears to be wearing an MC ribbon - but cannot find anything on that in the Gazette.

Simon

Capt O H Ormrod of No 41 Sqn RFC, formerly Royal Field Artillery, was killed in an accident while flying FE8 6395 on 12 September 1916.

I hope that this is useful.

Gareth

Simon, Capt Ormrod's FE8 6395 was taking off but failed to reach sufficient flying speed, causing his machine to stall and nose dive, before crashing. 41 Sqn were working up at the time of the crash. Hope this helps.

Regards,

Trevor

Probably his army service record: WO 339/10934 ORMROD O H, Capt

Gentlemen,

Just the job - many thanks for your efforts.

Hwyl.

Simon

Simon, Captain Ormond's death also gets a mention in the Flight magazine for 21st September 1916 where it is stated "AT an inquest on September 13th relative to the fatal accident, on the previous day, to Captain Olive H. Ormrod, R.F.C., it was stated that the machine rose with one wing down, presumably through insufficient flying speed, and at a height of 40 ft. the machine side-slipped and made a nosedive to the ground, Captain Ormrod's skull being fractured. A verdict of " Accidental Death " was returned."

Steve