Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

TRying to trace service of Black Watch man from Dundee

Terry

I am attempting to find out if a George D. Taylor, born 29 Dec.,1878 in Dundee, was entitled to any pre-Great War medals. When he joined the CEF in 1914 he stated on his attestation papers that he had 14 years service with the Black Watch. Is there any way of tracking down possible campaign service (eg. South Africa)?

Cheers,

Terry

Terry

There are records at the National Archives at Kew,thus:

He may have a service record in WO97/3992 or 3993,which is the series of attestation papers for the period 1883 to 1900. If he had no WW1 service in the UK these papers should still be in that series. Otherwise they probably migrated to WO363 and may have been lost in a 1940 bombing.

To discover if such a name appears on the Boer War Medals lists,viz Queen's South Africa Medal / King's South Africa Medal,both with the number of claps entitled to,and regions served in,a search of WO100/190 will show the soldiers of the Royal Highlanders (Black Watch) who served there and were issued with these medals/clasps.

These papers are not accessible on-line and need to be looked up at Kew.(Edit: having said that I seem to remember that some of WO97 IS now online ! Maybe someone here knows specifically. You may also need a service number ?).

Sotonmate

(Another edit ! I guess this is strictly off topic for this Forum. I have PMd you as well.

Hi,

He served throughout the Great War with the PPCLI, being wounded three times and winning the MM. I would obviously be happier knowing that there is not a missing QSA or QSA/KSA pair out there, as I am considering purchasing the MM and trio.

Cheers,

Terry

There are records at the National Archives at Kew,thus:

He may have a service record in WO97/3992 or 3993,which is the series of attestation papers for the period 1883 to 1900.

Unlikely I would have thought based on his date of birth and with 14 years service, more likely to be in either;

WO 97/6045 Taylor Frederick Herbert - Taylor George 1900-1913

WO 97/6046 Taylor George A - Taylor Henry 1900-1913

These files haven't been released online yet though, due by August 2010 if the 'findmypast' site is to believed.

Regards

Steve

Steve

Thanks for the flawless analysis,your solution is superior !

Terry

I will re-direct my peeping accordingly ! I have a thought,if you want a quicker answer to the QSA/KSA question there are guys on the British Medal Forum who have the lists.

Sotonmate

Thanks,fellows. BMF's QSAMike informs me that there was a 2434 Pte.G.Taylor,2/Black Watch in South Africa (QSA CC,Witt.,SA01). I am praying that this isn't my guy!

Cheers,

Terry

Hi Terry

There was only one G Taylor in the Black Watch at that period, serving with the 2nd battalion, as stated already his No is 2434. There was also a Pte D Taylor, No 5908, but it seems most likely that Pte G Taylor is your man.

• 4 weeks later...

Terry

Looked in WO97/6045 and 6046- no papers for this man in either.

Unable to get around to looking at WO100/190 for QSA/KSA,time expired.

Sotonmate