Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

53rd Battalion AIF

Ivor Lee

Can any of our Australian experts help with information/war diary entry for the 53rd Battalion on 2 August 1916.

A friend had a relative (Pte Phillip Joseph Foulser) kia on this day and I would like to be able to give him more information.

Many thanks

Ivor

Ivor

Pte. Phillip Joseph FOULSER No. 3530/A

5th. Australian Div.

14th. brigade

53rd Battalion

Date of Death 02/08/ 1916

Remembered on the Villers-Bretonneux Memorial

No Next of Kin listed

Enlisted Sydney, N.S.W.

The 53rd was involved in the Fromelles disaster 19th-20 July 1916

and when the remnants regrouped they stayed in the area for some

time after the battle, so it is possible that he was KIA in an incident [shelling

perhaps]

For a Unit History see the "Whale Oil Guards" their C.O. got them to wipe

their helmets with the whale oil issued for trench feet so that they looked smart

on parade.

Thats all I can find at the moment, hope that it helps

Bluedog

Port kembla

Australia

Ivor,

The Red Cross files for the AIF are also held on the AWM site in Biographical Databases. I am at work and cannot search from here but they are worth a look. If there is a file there for him it will list how he died according to eyewitnesses.

Regards

Tim D

John Joseph Kennedy wrote the 53rd Bn history 'The Whale Oil Guards' and it was published in Dublin in 1919. Kennedy was a priest assigned to the 53rd Bn.

I have the 5th Division history at home so I'll check to see if it mentions anything taking place on that date.

Regards

Andrew

Is their some mystery here? He is listed in the Red Cross archives as having gone 'missing' on 19-7-16 at the charge of Fleur-Bair? (have I got that spelling right - see below). I've downloaded the PDF and pasted up some of the reports below.

Ian.

post-2-1086237883.gif

Mystery indeed....but a simple explanation (see the related post under 'Soldiers') and some fixing to do. I am sure the Australian War Memorial can look at the possibility of changing his date of death on the Roll of Honour. I don't know about the CWGC but would guess there is enough evidence to suggest he was KIA on the 19th July and not the 2nd August.

Regards

Tim D

Thanks guys for the comments.

I will pass on this information to his relatives and contact AWM and CWGC on their behalf.

Will let you know the outcome.

Ivor

On past experience, I think that you will find AWM very helpful.

Try writing direct to

Major Kerry Hodge [Kerry.Hodge@dva.gov.au] (Dept Veteren Affairs)

Regards

Andy

Guest dinkidi

G'day Ivor

Have you "searched" the AWM Collections Database for photo's etc of the 53rd &/or Fromelles?

One aspect of this battle has intrigued me. The participating soldiers seemed to refer to it as Fleur Baix [as per above Red Cross statement] whilst officialdom records it almost exclusively as Fromelles. There is 1 Fleur Baix reference on the AWM site & 175 Fromelles.

It would be preferable for the actual date to be recorded for each casualty, but on searching through WW1 records I am constantly amazed at the detail that was so painstakingly recorded. Given the sheer numbers of casualties in this particular battle, the other pressing matters needed to keep a battalion in the field, & even the primitive typewriters available, the results are pretty good. Although there does seem to have been an error made in this instance, it should be recognised that the Red Cross statement was not made until some 9 months after the event, and the soldier's personal file would have probably been archived by then.

Good Luck

Pat

No arguments from me that the AIF generally kept fantastic records. If it were not for this a small error such as this made many years ago may never have come to light. However the system used was sometimes confusing and I have seen this sort of error on a couple of occasions during the past. Unfortunately, due to the number of casualties and difficulties in locating eyewitnesses, the system inevitably failed at times.....which is a great pity for the relatives of the soldier concerned. The magnitude of the initial task confronting those keeping records may be outlined by looking at the cost of the Fromelles operation. The main AIF Battalions involved suffered the following casualties:

32nd Battalion 17 officers 701 men

31st Battalion 16 officers 528 men

54th Battalion 19 officers 521 men

53rd Battalion 24 officers 601 men

60th Battalion 16 officers 741 men

59th Battalion 20 officers 675 men

Regards

Tim D

Pat

I will take up your suggestion about the AWM's photographic collection.

Unfortunately I have had little experience of searching for Australian records so all the suggestions are very helpful. As many forum members know my main interest is in the Labour Corps and very few Australians served in the Corps.

If only the British records were as easy to access as the Australian ones!

Tim

With casualty figures like these it is easy to see how an error could have occurred.

Once again many thanks for all your help.

Regards

No problems Ivor,

Don't know if you have looked at the official history. There is an excellent account of the battle in the official history which clearly explains the role of the 53rd as one of the assaulting battalions on the 19th July. You can read it here in Volume III.

http://www.awm.gov.au/histories/index.asp

The account of the battle starts at Page 329. The account of the 19th July on Page 350 and is very detailed.

Regards

TD

Guest dinkidi

Ivor

When you get onto the AWM site, search the Collections Data Base under "Labour"

There are over 100 references there, and you never know your luck.

Pat

Guest stevenbec

Also Mate,

There is a very detailed book on this battle by the 5th Aust Div. It goes into the full story of the attack and covers all actions and units during that time.

Its called "Don't Forget me, Cobber" The battle of Fromelles 19/20 July 1916 an Inquiry. by Robin S. Cornfield - ISBN 1-876586-18-4.

Hope you find what you need.

S.B

Tim

Perhaps someone will point out to the British Governement what the Australians have made available online!

If only we had similar resources.