Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Australians in the RNAS

stevedrew

Forumites,

Myself and a good friend, Andrew Smith, are researching Australians who served in the RNAS in ANY capacity (cooks, mechanics, observers, pilots etc).

ANY information of ANY kind (photos, anecdotes, diaries, newspaper articles, paragraphs in books) would be appreciated.

The Aerodrome visitors have been notified of our request, and we hope that the participants here can help us as well.

We are writing a book on the above subject, and the profits will be directed to the Museum of Aviation, Nowra.

Thank you for any help you can provide.

Steve Drew

• 2 weeks later...

Here are a few off the top of my head for now.

Little, Robert Alexander DSO* DSC* CdG MiD from Melbourne a major ace 47 claims Buried Wavens British Cemetery, France

Mann,Alfred Thomas Osborne from Sydney Died accident 29th November 1916

FSL. Buried Luxeuil les Bains Communal Cemetery

Holyman,Victor Clive from Tasmania survived the war. Lost in a flight 1934 Pre RNAS service, served in Merchant Marine at Gallipoli

Hinkler,Herbert John Louis, DSM AFC (usually Bert) Bunderburg survived the war

F311 AM.LM,PO,CPO,WO,PFO Killed in flying accident Italy 1933 ;)

Manicafan,

Thanks for your input. Andrew and I have about 120 chaps and are in the process of chasing information on them.

R A Little and R S Dallas are the two most prominent, and the third, whilst having a remarkably dullish war career, had a fantastic flying career post-war...

HJL Hinkler.

Others include:

A M Longmore - probably the earliest Aussie holder of a pilot's licence - MAY have been the first person to drop a torpedo from a plane - (think he is the first Commonwealth pilot to do so) - (must check my records).

D C S Evill - was very prominent during the Battle of Britain...assisted Hugh Trenchard I think. (must check my records)

R P Minifie - Australia's youngest ace..and a triplane virtuoso. Brother J E Minifie also in RNAS.

F S Cotton - inventor of the SidCot flying suit and aerial photography innovator - last pilot to fly out of Berlin before WW2 declared - got "smiling Albert" (Field Marshall Kesselring) to pilot his plane whilst he surreptitiously took pics of Albert's defences of the Ruhr valley.

"Rex" Boyden - pilot of the missing Stinson flight.

H R Busteed - early Aussie pioneer, test pilot for T O M Sopwith with Harry Hawker.

S J Goble - first man to circumnavigate Aust by plane.

P F M Fellowes - in charge of the expedition where the first plane flew over Mt Everest.

There are many others, some thoroughly remarkable men.

We find, though, that reading records about one Aussie guy that he might mention "me and this other aussie chap in our squadron, John Smith" etc...and then we find one more chap.

Not much is written about mechanics (without whom none of these pilots would be flying!) or cooks etc, so that's what we're searching for...and stories and records etc about the more famous ones as well as the rank and file chaps.

Any other guys?? More information guys??

Thanks for any help.

Steve Drew