Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Two more Fromelles soldiers identified...

roel22

Just got this mail from the Australian Fromelles Project Group:

"A further two Australian soldiers have been identified as being amongst the men of Pheasant Wood.

The Minister for Veterans' Affairs announced the result of an extraordinary identification board at 1100 this morning"

Roel

Lt Col Ignatius Bertram Norris 53rd Battalion.

595 Private Harold Charles Pitt 32nd Battalion.

Fascinating that a battalion commander has been identified.

Great that they have been identfied and not known unto god. But to those who have not been identfied good that they have been found, and given a decent burial.

Dan

Thanks for posting Roel,

The fact they have now identified nearly half the soldiers known to be Australian is incredible!

I wonder how the figure of 96 identifications compares with the number of families / descendents of Fromelles casualties who have been traced for DNA matching? (Apologies if this question has been asked before!)

All the best

Steve

That is fantastic news - Does this mean that existing headstones will be replaced in time for the ceremony on the 19th? - Are there in fact headstones already there??

Cheers

Fascinating that a battalion commander has been identified.

The 53rd Bn war diary records simply "Lt Col Norris and Adjt killed during first charge".

Good news indeed that two more have been identified.

I would imagine that there are 2 Unknown tombstones that will be changed in due course.

Would it be appropriate to indicate these stones prior to their replacement?

Will relatives of these 2 men be able to make the trip at such short notice assuming they are not already coming?

Poignant that the Lt Col gallantly fell at the head of his men and that their final resting places will seem him restored to a place of honour literally in their midst.

I can't help but think that he would have been delighted with this result.

The 53rd Bn war diary records simply "Lt Col Norris and Adjt killed during first charge".

For those interested in the final hours of all the missing at Fromelles: click here...

(If only the Germans had such a fabulous website... :( )

Roel

More excellent news, I have to say I'm so impressed with the successful ID'ing of all the men so far. Superb effort.

Don't know if the headstones will be replaced in due course. but I did just find this http://www.army.gov.au/fromelles/docs/graves_vjib1-2a4.pdf on the Aussie Frommelles site, which shows the layout of the cemetery and "type" of each grave (i.e. Unknown, Unknown Aussie, Unknown British, Identified Aussie). It could presumably be cross-referenced with the CWGC info. It hasn't been updated for the latest two though.

Actually, since the document was updated on 5 july when the ID board was actually held, the doc may have been updated to reflect the latest IDs. I'll leave it to someone else to count the green rectangles though!

Don't know if the headstones will be replaced in due course. but I did just find this http://www.army.gov.au/fromelles/docs/graves_vjib1-2a4.pdf on the Aussie Frommelles site, which shows the layout of the cemetery and "type" of each grave (i.e. Unknown, Unknown Aussie, Unknown British, Identified Aussie). It could presumably be cross-referenced with the CWGC info. It hasn't been updated for the latest two though.

David,

Thanks for the link. I knew the cemetery had room for extension, but not that much. Good on them.

To the two newly identified - sleep peacefully, gone and no longer forgotten.

Cheers Andy. poppy.gif

Am so pleased they have been able to identify these men, may they all Rest in Peace.

Yes his CWGC record has now been updated http://www.cwgc.org/search/casualty_details.aspx?casualty=721567, FROMELLES (PHEASANT WOOD) MILITARY CEMETERY III. A. 3.

David - thanks for the confirmation.

Nice to see the CWGC reacting so quickly to the new IDs.Also the cemetery plan has been changed to record the Norris and Pitt graves as those of "Known Australians". Excellent work.

Pte Pitt is now recorded as being in IV D 4