Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

8th Bn Royal Irish Rifles, Dec 1917.

MickLeeds

Looking for any information as to the actions of the 8th Bn Royal Irish Rifles during December of 1917 just to get an overview of what the battalion was doing when my grandfathers brother L/Cpl Hugh Herron (12909) was killed on the 8th of the month.

Or if anybody can point me in the right direction of an available download at the NA. (I've tried searching but find it incomprehensible!)

Cheers,

Mick.

Hi Mick

According to sdgw L/cpl Herron died of wounds on 8th December. Unless his service record has survived I imagine that it would be very difficult to tell when he was actually wounded. Adding to the difficulty is the fact that he is remembered on the Thiepval Memorial. A DOW on a memorial to the missing? Like so many it would appear that your uncle probably had a grave initially but it was lost or destroyed during later battles.

In case you don't have it, here's his name at Thiepval.

post-33142-042662500 1278800056.jpg

Mick,

From The Long, Long Trail -

http://www.1914-1918.net/ririfles.htm

8th (Service) Battalion (East Belfast)

Formed in Belfast in September 1914 from the Belfast Volunteers. Moved to Ballykinlare and came under orders of 107th Brigade in 36th (Ulster) Division.

July 1915 : moved to Seaford.

October 1915 : landed at Boulogne.

29 August 1917 : amalgamated with 9th Bn to form 8/9th Bn.

7 February 1918 : disbanded in France.

So you would need to examine the War Diary of the 8/9th Bn. for the events of December 1917. Located here -

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/displaycataloguedetails.asp?CATID=-2243049&CATLN=7&Highlight=%2C9%2CBATTALION%2CROYAL%2CIRISH%2CRIFLES&accessmethod=0

Scope and content

8/9 Battalion Royal Irish Rifles

Covering dates 1917 Sept. - 1918 Jan.

Unfortunately not available in Documents Online.

John

archangel19@ Thanks for the info on the war diary John, looks like I'll have to take a trip down south sometime.

Ulsterlad2@ Yes, I presume his grave was lost sometime after his death.

Cheers for the copy of the name inscription from Thiepval, by coincidence I also received a copy today from the British War Graves website.

Thanks for the time and effort.

Mick.