Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Self-demobilisation...

Stuart Basson

Was this at all common? According to my grandfather's medal index card he (QMS Wilfred Edgar BASSON) deserted from the 8th Lincolns on 6.3.1919. To the best of my knowledge he was one of Kitchener's first 100,000; had apparently been with them since they embarked for France in 1915 and, as far as I know, came through it physically unscathed. As a qualified teacher I don't know how far down the pecking order he might have been, for demobilisation; lower, perhaps, than miners, engineers and the like.

He seemed to have no difficulty picking up his career when he did get home and eventually became a head at a junior school in Bedfordshire: not the most easy career path, you'd have thought, for someone with "deserter" on his CV!

So, does anyone have a thought on how common an occurance this was; how determinedly such men were tracked down at home; what sort of penalty they might have expected if caught and if anyone paid the ultimate price for post-Armistice desertion?

Cheers

Stu

Hi Stu,

Can't help with your question but can help regarding Wilfred's enlistment date.

With your grandfather's service number of 12080 I would put his enlistment into the Lincs as early Sept 1914, sometime around the 4th to 7th.

Jim

Guest Pete Wood

No soldier was shot, after the armistice, for deserting. Only murderers and mutineers were still given the ultimate punishment.

There were lists sent to the local police forces, and his family (next of kin) would, I am sure, have received at least one visit; the military may also have visited his home.

Because of his rank, he would probably not have received a jail sentence. But his wages would have been stopped, and he may have been reduced to the ranks and/or fined. His reason (mitigating circumstances) would be considered, before the verdict was announced.

What he was really guilty of, was being absent without leave - for a long time. The 'crime' then stops being AWOL and becomes desertion.

Many thanks to Jim and RT for the prompt and enlightening replies!

Stu

A local man on an immediate post war visit to France to see a loved one's place of death/burial etc recorded that the boat on which he returned to England was full of soldiers singing the song 'We'll be demoralised, if we're not demobilised' !

I assume there were some pretty p...ed off soldiers still hanging around waiting to get out of the army.

Des

Guest Ian Bowbrick

My wife's grandfather enlisted 5 September 1914, went overseas April 1915 and was demobilised in April 1920. He didn't see the UK from July 1916 until February 1920. The temptation must have been strong, but where can you run to in Mespot :blink:

I have a nagging feeling that I've seen something from the immediate post-war period that was effectively a caution against recording men as having 'deserted' without very careful checking that had not, in fact, been demobilised. The implication was that there was a certain degree of confusion in the administrative process with some men being logged as deserters who weren't.

The trouble is I didn't make a note of the reference at the time and now I can't remember where I read it.

Jock

Hi Stu,

I have a little story on desertion for you. I was researching a friends father who served as a Lieut Blackwell with the RASC. His service records made fascinating reading.

He was arrested and tried by General Court Martial in France 17-7-19 on a charge of falsely stating he had permission from the Demob offices Abbeville to proceed independently to Dispersal Camp Calais. On 22 April 1919 he took a vauxhall car, which he was unauthorised to take, and also a Pte Estwick. Unfortunately he crashed the car near Vron causing serious injury to Pte Estwick, and £100 worth of damage to the car. There are lots of eye witness accounts etc, as well as a telephone message from Lt Blackwell saying that he had crashed the car and to ask for the breakdown, as well as another car to take him to Calais!! He was very determined!

He was dismissed, and without pay from 23 April, and ordered to pay £50. Whilst being transferred to another hospital in the UK on 27 June 1919, Pte Estwick was reported as talking incoherently, having faulty articulation. Although he could answer questions reasonably at times his reaction period was long and he soon became tired.

I have to say I felt awful having to tell my friend all about his father. He was completely unaware of the story, but not altogether surprised!

Alie.

Hi Racey T,

I really have no idea whether his story has been published, its funny how you have heard about this or similar before!! I have his service records or some of them, in front of me here. I have only told the story briefly. I forgot to say that he was overtaking a Flying Corp Crossley Tender (whatever that is) just before he crashed!!

Alie.

Guest Pete Wood

Thinking about it more, the story I heard was of a soldier who impersonated an officer and took a staff car (without permission) and crashed it. He was then tried for the various offences......

I love tales like this/these.

Interesting stuff!

Just to swing it back to Granddad for a moment, the following:

http://www.eebo.freeserve.co.uk/8thbatt.htm

puts the specific issue into context with this note for March 9th:

"Moved to billets at Junet, near Charleroi. Demobilisation completed."

So it looks like the old boy slipped away just three days before his mates were let go.