Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1st CCL Regiment

jwp2007

Got an MIC for a chap who's regiment is listed as 1st CCL, i have gone blank on this one !, could anyone assist in what regiment this is ?,

many thanks,

John.

that was quick Mike !, the chap i was looking for was named Ingram Garrett, the only MIC was one named to I.Garrett no.1059 1st CCL Regt, not even sure if this is the same guy, this chap was from county durham a former miner so i'm told,

many thanks,

John.

There was the CCL (I Northumbrian) Brigade, RFA and CCLI (II Northumbrian) Brigade, RFA (part of artillery of 50th (Northumbrian) Division) .

that was quick Mike ! ".Fast or last mate, fast or last. :P

had a look at MIC, and it's I.CC.L.? Imperial Camel Corps?

Not sure about that one

Cheers mike

There was the CCL (I Northumbrian) Brigade, RFA and CCLI (II Northumbrian) Brigade, RFA (part of artillery of 50th (Northumbrian) Division) .

I would guess that in this context CCL and CCLI are Roman numerals (250 and 251, respectively).

Had another look and it might be an Ancestry transcribing error of COL, as in Divisional supply Col(umn)?

Captain Starlight might be right?

Mike

Ah, now I see the MIC index on the National Archives site gives the regiment as 1st Cape Coloured Labour Regiment

Excellent- never thought of that! Indeed had not heard of them as a formed body like that. Were they used on the Western Front only or had they (as a unit) seen service elsewhere (e.g. German SW Africa) ?

My suggestion was based on a possible 1st battery CCL (250) Brigade RFA (though even the batteries were normally referred to by their individual numbers to my knowledge).

Many thanks all for your replies, poppy3 thanks for checking out the na, never thought of that !, I think i can rule out that mic as being my man :lol: , not heard of that regiment before, once again many thanks all for your prompt and helpful responses,

kind regards,

John.

I have got curious about the "wrong" I. Garrett now!

Pte. I Garrett of the Cape Coloured Labour Regiment is listed by the South Africa War Graves Project as having died between 1914 and 1921. They quote sources as Ancestry24.za and the South African Roll of Honour 1914-1918.

There's a little bit of info about the 'Cape Coloured Labour Battalion' here.

I have got curious about the "wrong" I. Garrett now!

Pte. I Garrett of the Cape Coloured Labour Regiment is listed by the South Africa War Graves Project as having died between 1914 and 1921. They quote sources as Ancestry24.za and the South African Roll of Honour 1914-1918.

There's a little bit of info about the 'Cape Coloured Labour Battalion' here.

many thanks for the extra info, got me interested too now !