Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help with info on wounded soldier.

The Ulsterman

Hello to all on this great forum, although i am a newly registered member, i have been looking in for a long time, glad to be aboard.

I am trying to find as much information as i can on my Great Uncle.

After finding a photo of him in uniform, i started the long road to finding out about his service.

He was Rifleman Robert Lockhart 11/2175, 11th Batt Royal Irish rifles (South Antrim Volunteers)

He was listed on the church roll as being wounded, (a leg wound) and this was confirmed by my family members, however, in the book "In France with the 11th Batt RIR", he is listed, but not as wounded.

I have downloaded his medal card from the National archives, but may need some expert help in finding out about his exploits whilst in France.

I have had little luck with his service records.

I would also be very interested in any group photos of the 11th service Batt, if any members would happen to have any.

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks, and i hope i have done everything right for my first post,

Neil.

Hi Neil. This is from The Long Long Trail

11th (Service) Battalion (South Antrim)

Formed in County Antrim in September 1914 from the Antrim Volunteers. Came under orders of 108th Brigade in 36th (Ulster) Division. Moved to Clandeboye in December 1914.

July 1915 : moved to Seaford.

October 1915 : landed at Boulogne.

13 November 1917 : amalgamated with 13th Bn to form 11/13th Bn.

18 February 1918 : disbanded in France.

You could try in put 11th rir here Beta Search

You will find very useful threads like, and ( helpful forum members ) on THIS ONE

Again from The Long Long Trail The 36th (Ulster) Division in 1914-1918

You may also have noticed ' class z ' on the medal card, more HERE

" Class Z Reserve was authorised by an Army Order of 3 December 1918. There were fears that Germany would not accept the terms of any peace treaty, and therefore the British Government decided it would be wise to be able to quickly recall trained men in the eventuality of the resumption of hostilities. Soldiers who were being demobilised, particularly those who had agreed to serve "for the duration", were at first posted to Class Z. They returned to civilian life but with an obligation to return if called upon. The Z Reserve was abolished on 31 March 1920. "

Cheers Mike

To see what he was doing on a day by day basis you need the battalion war diary.

That battalion is not available for a download, so you would have to go to Kew to read it - unless you can find someone on the forum who has a transcription

Neil

Welcome to the forum, it will become addictive, many here can testify to that. Where exactly was Robert from and what was the name of the church ect. With some basic information you would be really amazed sometimes what our local Ulster based forum members can come up with. Good to see you here.

Regards, Tommy.

I think I am correct in saying that the 11th R I Rifles book list consists of embarkation roll plus killed and wounded 1st July 1916 - your man may well have been wounded in another action?

Adding to Tommy's welcome and once again, any further area detail which may help paint a bigger picture?

You may also have noticed ' class z ' on the medal card, more HERE

" Class Z Reserve was authorised by an Army Order of 3 December 1918. There were fears that Germany would not accept the terms of any peace treaty, and therefore the British Government decided it would be wise to be able to quickly recall trained men in the eventuality of the resumption of hostilities. Soldiers who were being demobilised, particularly those who had agreed to serve "for the duration", were at first posted to Class Z. They returned to civilian life but with an obligation to return if called upon. The Z Reserve was abolished on 31 March 1920. "

Cheers Mike

First of all Mike, Thank you very much for taking the time out to find all the links, i really appreciate it.

Especially the "Z" Class!

I thought that was 2 Class, and that was going to be my very next question. :D

So, thank you very much for that Mike.

Neil.

To see what he was doing on a day by day basis you need the battalion war diary.

That battalion is not available for a download, so you would have to go to Kew to read it - unless you can find someone on the forum who has a transcription

Thank you very much indeed.

Should i open a new thread to ask if anyone has a transcription of their war diary?

or just use this thread?

I haven't found any talk of it during my searches on here.

Sorry fellas, but i'm still finding my way on the forum.

Neil.

Neil

Welcome to the forum, it will become addictive, many here can testify to that. Where exactly was Robert from and what was the name of the church ect. With some basic information you would be really amazed sometimes what our local Ulster based forum members can come up with. Good to see you here.

Regards, Tommy.

Thanks for the welcome tommy, and i can see how it can become addictive, i have been searching through 100's of posts here.

His full name was Robert Robson Lockhart, and was from the Tullyard area of Lisburn.

I found the church info from Eddies Extracts, here is the link http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancest...ohhillhall.html

Hillhall church is on the outskirts of Lisburn town.

I know he signed the covenant, and have downloaded his signature from the PRONI website, that!...in itself was amazing to see.

Thanks again for the lovely welcome Tommy.

Neil.

I think I am correct in saying that the 11th R I Rifles book list consists of embarkation roll plus killed and wounded 1st July 1916 - your man may well have been wounded in another action?

Adding to Tommy's welcome and once again, any further area detail which may help paint a bigger picture?

Thank you Desmond, You're right, he must have been wounded in an action other than the "big push"

I bought that wee book hoping that it would mention something that i hadn't already found, and when he wasn't listed as wounded, it kind of threw me off slightly.

However, the Church roll of honour confirmed that he was indeed wounded (at some stage of the war) a severe leg wound, which he suffered the rest of his life.

I have added some further info in reply to Tommy's post.

I guess the war diary is the only way to find out more about his exploits.

You fellas are brilliant, thanks for all the help so far.

BTW Desmond, your work on the websites for the 12th RIR is fantastic, i have been reading through them.

Neil.

Thanks Ulsterlad, I'll just do that! :D

Neil.

Neil

I take it that this is the Lockhart family on the 1911 census of Ireland.

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/page...llyard/1239368/

As he's from the Lisburn area the man you probably need to speak to is Pat Geary who was responsible for the wonderful Friends School website belwo - he may well have turned up some info on Robert during his researches. Well worth a try, Pat is very helpful and is I think a member of the forum.

http://www.friendsschoollisburn.org.uk/ww1...gehead=memorial

Regards, Tommy.

PS: As an aside do you know if the Samuel Lockhart, Mercer Street, an AB in the RN, also listed on the Hillhall ROH is related in any way? I know he's not Robert's brother?

Hi Tommy, Yes indeed! that is the family, the 12 yo Rowland being my Grandfather (my Mother's Father)

I actually have a great family photo of them around this time, because Robert looks to be around 12/13/14 years old.

All of the boys except William, signed the covenant in Lisburn Grain market.

The older boys are holding guns, however they may well be shotguns.

I will try to contact Pat Geary.

As for the Samuel Lockhart, i would suggest he is indeed a member of the family, as there were dozens of Lockharts around this area, however perhaps a cousin of the above?

I may try to find out more about him when i get Robert sussed. :D

Thank you again for all your help Tommy.

Neil.

PS: The frustrating thing about my search is, when i first started searching for info, i asked about him on the Beflast Somme forum.

One chap gave me his service number, where he resided, and his regiment.

This really started my search off in ernest, as i didn't even know his service number then.

I asked where he had gained the info that he gave me, and he never replied again.

I found this strange, however i was very greatful with what he had told me.

I often wondered which document would have given him this info?

Neil, he maybe got the information from Soldiers Died Great War, it is also available as a disc ( quite expensive ) and on Ancestry.co.uk

There are many databases available, some free like;

Geoff's Search Engine

Mapping Our Anzacs

Scotland's People

Also very useful sites like

CEF Study Group Forum

The National Archives

Cheers Mike

PS Maybe the guy who never answered, just went on Holiday? Also it's easy to forget to check a thread, don't be too hard on him :thumbsup:

Thank you Mike, I'll have a sift through the links you gave me and see if i can find anything.

I don't mean to be hard on the chap at all Mike, :hypocrite: i was very greatful for the help he did give me.

The frustrating thing was, that was reading all of the messages i sent.

He gave me enough to get started, that's the main thing.

I would love to know who he was, as i would like to thank him properly,.....i think he was writing a book.

Anyway, thank you once again for your help.

Neil.