Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

medel card ID please

don_estaban

hi everybody, i am new here so I hope i have posted in the correct forum.

now for the help, could any one help me with identifying the corp on my

grandfathers medel card. it says "hauto R" , I think, I know the one underneath

is the machine gun corp.

image attachted

thank you in advance.

post-56275-1278175076.jpg

Hi Don

I believe that the card reads 'Hants (Hampshire) Regiment'.

Ancestry are renowned for their mis-transcriptions!

I hope this helps

Cheers

Paul

The National Archives search definitely has him listed as Hampshire (Hants.) Regt.

Hampshire Regiment is the 1st unit, it looks like he first arrived in theatre 18/03/15 in Hejaz, the 4th Bn of the Hampshires arrived in Basra on that date, so was probably with them.

Hejaz is a new theatre to me, someone with more knowledge will be able to fill you in, this shows where it is:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hejaz

Sam

thanks very much guys for the very quick reply, its looks unanimous,

the Hampshire Regt it is,

thanks again to you all.

don

:D :D :D

Hampshire Regiment is the 1st unit, it looks like he first arrived in theatre 18/03/15 in Hejaz, the 4th Bn of the Hampshires arrived in Basra on that date, so was probably with them.

Hejaz is a new theatre to me, someone with more knowledge will be able to fill you in, this shows where it is:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hejaz

It looks like you may have misread this Sam. The Theatre of War code on the MIC is 5A = Mesopotamia & Bushire. Theatre of War code 6A (from 01/01/1916) was Hedjas (Hejaz).

I can confirm that 3248 Cpl Cracknell was 1/4th Hants and landed at Basra on 18/03/1915.

Marc

It looks like you may have misread this Sam. The Theatre of War code on the MIC is 5A = Mesopotamia & Bushire. Theatre of War code 6A (from 01/01/1916) was Hedjas (Hejaz).

5a was East Africa and Rhodesia. I thought that Mespot was 6b? I think a lot of troopships stopped at Aden on the way to Mespot, and Aden would be 5a, so maybe a clerk incorrectly listed it as his 1st theatre of war. Either way, it looks like a mistake on the MIC; 4/Hants landed at Basra on the date that Marc says which also happens to be the date on the MIC.

5a was East Africa and Rhodesia. I thought that Mespot was 6b? I think a lot of troopships stopped at Aden on the way to Mespot, and Aden would be 5a

Marc is correct, 5a was Asiatic Theatre (Mesopotamia and Bushire) as far as the 1914-15 Star was concerned, African Theatre (British and German East Africa, Nyasaland, Uganda and Rhodesia) was 4a. These theatre designations changed after 1/1/1916.

Regards

Steve

I can confirm that 3248 Cpl Cracknell was 1/4th Hants and landed at Basra on 18/03/1915.

Marc

That makes more sense Marc as Basra is in Mespot (been there and it's a s***hole), but the list of theatre's on the N/A's only lists Hedjaz as "a", Mespot as "b" with anywhere in Asia upto 31/12/15 as "5", bit confusing that.

How did you confirm he was 1/4th?

Sam

Marc is correct, 5a was Asiatic Theatre (Mesopotamia and Bushire) as far as the 1914-15 Star was concerned, African Theatre (British and German East Africa, Nyasaland, Uganda and Rhodesia) was 4a. These theatre designations changed after 1/1/1916.

Yes, that's the bit I got confused with; pre & post 1 Jan 1916..... Mea culpa.