Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Bertie Hartas, Royal Regiment of Artillery (RFA)

DDP1955

Hello Pals

I wonder if anybody can help me ...

I am trying to research my great uncle Bertie Hartas, service number 107643, whose service papers are about five pages long and are terribly burnt and water damaged. He was a private driver!

He attested at Newcastle on Tyne on 09/10/1915 and went to France on 03/06/1916

Is it possible from this scant information to tell waht battery he was in?

I'd be grateful for any help anybody can give me

Dianne

D

The papers show that he was with "D"Battery of 178 Brigade Royal Field Artillery when he landed in France on 3.6.1916,and continued to serve them into 1917. They were with 40 Division:

http://www.1914-1918.net/40div.htm

and their War Dairy is at Kew under WO95/2598 which starts on arrival in France and runs through to Mar 1919.

They were a Howitzer Brigade,the number of the unit on the Division page I have attached is under Roman numerals (CLXXVIII).

Sotonmate

The papers show that he was with "D"Battery of 178 Brigade Royal Field Artillery when he landed in France on 3.6.1916,and continued to serve them into 1917. They were with 40 Division:

http://www.1914-1918.net/40div.htm

and their War Dairy is at Kew under WO95/2598 which starts on arrival in France and runs through to Mar 1919.

They were a Howitzer Brigade,the number of the unit on the Division page I have attached is under Roman numerals (CLXXVIII).

Hi SM

Thank you so much for this information

This man is my great uncle and so I have other information on him that is not WW1 related ..

He was married in York in early 1918, so at some point was injured enough to be sent back to the UK, possibly in 1917

Dianne