Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1st North Staffs

moulie11

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone can tell me some details about what the 1st North Staffordshires were doing on/around the 18th December 1914. Extracts from the war diary for this time would be gratefully received but any feedback at all would be much appreciated.

Many thanks in anticipation.

moulie11

Hi

They were in the Rue du Bois sector from 6th -31st December 1914 and were witnesses to the Christmas Truce

Regards

Martin

Thanks very much for that snippet of info, Martin. It's really very interesting to learn that they were witness to the Truce of 1914.

Unfortunately, my chap died on 18th December, so he wouldn't have been personally involved in this remarkable event; a great shame.

Best regards,

moulie11

Yes indeed a great shame. Sorry I can't help more. The history is lacking in detail and merely comments on the state of the trenches

On December 11th the 1st Bn took over trenches in the Rue Du Bois area, generally known as the "Death Trap" or "Dead Man's Alley," and remained there till relieved on December 31st.

Nothing else in the Bns History.

Alan

Thanks very much for your help guys, much appreciated. Ties in very well with the fact that he was interred at the Chapelle D'Armentieres Old Military Cemetery.

Best regards,

Luke