Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Uniform/rank identification please

paul00390

Hi,

I've got this old photo of my grandfather who was supposedly a signalman with the Royal Flying Corps. I say "supposedly" because when he was alive he would not willingly talk about his service - we only know that he was awarded a medal for bravery whilst in Africa (this medal was once seen but no-one now seems to be able to find it). I wonder if someone could confirm the uniform for me. I've tried enlarging the cap but the badge is much too fuzzy to identify but could be RFC.

Thanks.

gdad2a.jpg

Hi,

I've got this old photo of my grandfather who was supposedly a signalman with the Royal Flying Corps. I say "supposedly" because when he was alive he would not willingly talk about his service - we only know that he was awarded a medal for bravery whilst in Africa (this medal was once seen but no-one now seems to be able to find it). I wonder if someone could confirm the uniform for me. I've tried enlarging the cap but the badge is much too fuzzy to identify but could be RFC.

Thanks.

gdad2a.jpg

I think it might be a Royal Engineers badge:

post-14525-1278100112.jpg

He is also wearing a signallers and a marksman badge on his sleeve. Given that he is wearing jodpurs, and spurs and carrying a whip (with his puttees wound top down) I think it is safe to say he was a driver or some other mounted role

If you post his name someone might be able to dig out his Medal Index Card which could confirm service overseas and any awards

Welcome!

Chris

Royal Engineers.? Think the badges are Signaller and Marksman,and he was mounted ,think he would need a horse to go with the spurs.What was his name.

Gary.

Edit Snap.

First picture; He's definately RE. He's wearing jodhpurs and spurs so he clearly rode horses, but that doesn't tell us much about his trade. On his sleeve he's wearing a 'signaller's badge and a 'skill-at-arms' badge. At a guess I'd say that the photo was taken just pre-WW1.

2nd picture; Well...., he's in a hot country....... but there's not much more that we can deduce. Though I wonder if that's a hanger in the background (over his right shoulder...?).

The Royal Engineers were very closely connected to the Royal Flying Corps, in fact the RFC started life as a branch of the RE's. RE men would commonly be involved with RFC units during WW1, signallers in particular. So the story about him being a signaller and being involved with the RFC may well be true without him ever having to have served in the RFC.

So, I searched for an MIC (medal index card) under several permutations of the name Eason and Francis, and just the initial F. and couldn't find one in the RE or the RFC. HOWEVER.... that could mean either that he didn't serve overseas during WW1 (possible), or that he DID serve overseas during WW1 and was commissioned as an officer and never claimed his medals (again, it's possible), or that he served overseas with the RFC sometime after 1915 in which case his medals would probably have been issued by the RAF (unless he was discharged before the RAF was formed in April 1918 - hope that wasn't too confusing...). And I reckon that this is the likeliest explanation.

I'd suggest you search for an RAF service record on the National Archives site (or maybe some kind person here will do it for you), and also, as a bit of a long shot, you might try searching the army service papers (there are 2 series, available at the National Archives), and possibly the army pre-war service papers, just in case he'd been discharged from the army and had re-enlisted in the RAF at a later date.

There's an outside chance that he could have been discharged from the army and then enlisted in the Royal Naval Air Service, so check that if you don't find anything in the RFC/RAF records.

Oh, and just to throw a spanner in the works, I DID find a medal index card for an 'F.E. Eason' who served as a Private in the East Kent Regt (regimental number; G/5238). It's an unusual name, so there's a chance that it's him, and some E.Kent battalions did serve in the middle east during WW1. But I'm keeping my fingers crossed that you'll find him in the RFC/RAF records.

And regarding the gallantry medal; maybe if you find him, and find his army number, someone here can have a quick look at the London Gazette to see whether he was awarded a medal and if so, which one.

Although no one would claim anything definitive from consulting the online London Gazette, using the few tricks I have learned from others on the Forum my search came up with no matches to several permutations of the name.

Chers, Bill

In light of ForeignGong's find, I'd say that his RAF service number indicates that he enlisted into the RAF relatively late in the war. So the F.E. Eason who was serving with the East Kent's might well be the same man. I'm guessing from his number that he was an early 1915 enlistment. So it is possible that your man could have served with the RE's pre-war, left the army, rejoined at the start of WW1, joined the East Kents, and transferred to the RAF in (at a guess) 1918.

I'm only mentioning this as a possibility. The MIC and your man may be unconnected. Or not. More info needed, like an RAF service record, but he served at least until 1921 or 22, so his service papers may not have been released. Definately try having a look for an army service record.

and transferred to the RAF in (at a guess) 1918.

..... it would have difficult for him to do so any earlier wouldn't it? :whistle:

Wow. Thanks for all of that. I guess I'll have to try to find my way around the National Archives website to search some more.

You people have acted above and beyond the call of duty. Many thanks, again.

I've managed to find where his medal is. One of my uncles has it but he's getting on now and very deaf so asking by phone if he can check the number is difficult to say the least. From what I can understand the medal is very worn and unclear for some reason. He lives a considerable distance from me so a visit is out of the question currently.

I'm determined to sort this now.

..... it would have difficult for him to do so any earlier wouldn't it? :whistle:

Ah......, yes...., glad you spotted that deliberate mistake.......!

But you know what I mean? He didn't spend the vast bulk of the war in the RFC, he must have been somewhere else (maybe the East Kents?) before joining the RAF.

Can I take my dunce's cap off now....?

Ah......, yes...., glad you spotted that deliberate mistake.......!

But you know what I mean? He didn't spend the vast bulk of the war in the RFC, he must have been somewhere else (maybe the East Kents?) before joining the RAF.

Can I take my dunce's cap off now....?

sorry -- it was early and I had not yet had coffee.... :devilgrin:

and yes I knew exactly what you meant....no dunces here :thumbsup:

Cheers

Chris

Well it seems that the Francis Edward Eason mentioned in the London Gazette could very well be the one - his medal was indeed the Meritorious service medal and there couldn't have been many people with that name.

It also transpires that he was active in WWII but no-one is sure if it was as a civilian or not. He worked at an airfield near london doing stuff with radios that was top secret at the time so I'm guessing that he was in service.

Any ideas on how I can progress from here? will his records be accessible if he served in WWII?

Any ideas on how I can progress from here? will his records be accessible if he served in WWII?

I said earlier that if he was still serving in 1922, then his RAF records won't be available. That doesn't mean you shouldn't have a look just in case. And you could also have a check for his army records. Remember that there are potentially 3 sets of records; his service with the RE's, his service with the E. Kents (IF he served with the E.Kents, that is...), and his service with the RAF. We don't know if this was continuous or if he was discharged at any time and re-enlisted. There may be some records in the pre-war service papers, there may be some in the 1914-21 series of papers, there will definately be some RAF papers, but I'm guessing they won't be available. In theory his army records shouldn't be there, but again, there's no harm in checking - a lot of material that theoretically shouldn't be there can turn up.

I think you can apply for his service papers from the RAF personnel section; don't know the details, maybe someone here can help you.

I remember that there is a micro-film index to RAF service-men (not officers) in the National Archives, and that this shows the name and service number of every RAF service-man up to (I think) the post-WW2 period. I have found a couple of men who had WW1 and WW2 service, and they have had 2 separate entries (different numbers for WW1 and WW2 service). You could have a check and if you find 2 'F.E. Eason's, then you'll know for certain that he had WW2 service.

Many thanks. Just about to go on holiday so I'll have a go when I return. Looks like a trip to Kew is in order. Would the RAF release info to a daughter or son?

Would the RAF release info to a daughter or son?

I think that, rather boringly, it's the line of succession according to traditional genealogy; the 1st child, then the 1st child's children until that line dies out, etc, then it passes on to the next child, and so on*. Though I'm not sure how well that's going to be policed (if it ever was). I think that you have to produce some birth and death certificates, but write and see what they ask you for. There's got to be an address somewhere on this site. I believe that it's the RAF Personnel Agency at RAF Insworth. Anyone here know any better.....?

*Actually, the traditional path would follow the son's line even if he's been born after a daughter, but that all seems very 20th Century.........

Just a brief search has revealed his service application on 28th May 1918 giving his trade as horse plougman and previous service as RE. He was 19 years old at that point.

It seems odd that he was re-enlisting before the war ended - that means he shipped out of the RE's before May. He, apparently, was not a happy farmer:)

Just a brief search has revealed his service application on 28th May 1918 giving his trade as horse plougman and previous service as RE. He was 19 years old at that point.

It seems odd that he was re-enlisting before the war ended - that means he shipped out of the RE's before May. He, apparently, was not a happy farmer:)

Well, that's interesting for 2 reasons; firstly it throws my theory about the photo being just pre-WW1 out of the window, and secondly it suggests that his service with the RE's was unlikely to have been for very long at all. Maybe he enlisted underage and was discharged for that reason, only to re-enlist in the RAF once he reached the correct age. That's got to be a pretty plausible explanation.

Just because his trade was 'horse ploughman' doesn't mean that's what he was doing on 27th May 1918; may be more of a description of his skills.

Don't forget the MIC to F.E. Eason; could be a completely different person, though if it was your man it could mean that he enlisted in the E.Kents, was discharged, re-enlisted in the RE's, discharged again, and then enlisted in the RAF.

Very interesting. Post your findings when you get them...?

Well, that's interesting for 2 reasons; firstly it throws my theory about the photo being just pre-WW1 out of the window, and secondly it suggests that his service with the RE's was unlikely to have been for very long at all. Maybe he enlisted underage and was discharged for that reason, only to re-enlist in the RAF once he reached the correct age. That's got to be a pretty plausible explanation.

Just because his trade was 'horse ploughman' doesn't mean that's what he was doing on 27th May 1918; may be more of a description of his skills.

Don't forget the MIC to F.E. Eason; could be a completely different person, though if it was your man it could mean that he enlisted in the E.Kents, was discharged, re-enlisted in the RE's, discharged again, and then enlisted in the RAF.

Very interesting. Post your findings when you get them...?

Yes, I'll let you know. The 1918 application papers were signed in Canterbury, Kent which was not far from where he lived. The fact he lived in that area makes the East Kent Regiment a strong possibilty although the card is dated 1915. He would only have been 16 at that time.

He was in the RE's long enough to get a skill-at-arms badge.