Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Special Brigade man

Tinhat47

I'm trying to do some research on a Royal Engineer, 288979 Pnr. Joseph BURGESS. I'm quite sure he was in the Special Brigade but not sure which company. I know that 288967 Thomas NEILSON was in Q Coy. of the Special Brigade and 288984 Frederick Ernest ANDAS (killed in action) was in 2nd Coy., Special Brigade. Any ideas?

Also, as Neilson was from Ayrshire and Andas was from Lincolnshire, I'm assuming Special Brigade number blocks don't indicate the region where the soldier was from?

MR

Unable to find a medal card for this man with the details you provide. I tried the details in different ways too. Hopefully someone can coax him out of the index,I have had failures before and they come up when someone else tries !

It is always possible that he didn't go overseas.

This card might give another route to finding his unit. I also had no hits on a service record.

You could try sending a PM to Terry Reeves here.

Sotonmate

I have his MIC but it sheds no light ... neither do the 20 or so other MICs of men with numbers in his block, except for the Neilson's service papers and Andas' SDGW entry (although for some reason he's not listed in the CWGC). Terry's had no luck with Mr. Burgess either. It's interesting, of these two Victory medals I have whose owners I knew the least about, both have turned out to have been Special Brigade men. Seems sometimes the less you know about a soldier, the bigger the suprise when you find the long-sought information.

Unable to find a medal card for this man with the details you provide. I tried the details in different ways too. Hopefully someone can coax him out of the index

It's there, on both NA and Ancestry sites.

Medal card of Burgess, Joseph

Corps Regiment No Rank

Royal Engineers 288979 Pioneer

Date 1914-1920

Catalogue reference WO 372/3

Medal Index Card has to be the poorest scan I've seen. Pioneer #288979 he was entitled to the pair which were issued off of a Royal Engineers' Roll but that's as far as I can make out, no idea what the reference is. Maybe someone else can read it better?

Indexed on Ancestry as Burgess, Joseph R?? ??999 (R?? = Regiment or Corps, ??999 = Regimental Number).

Regards

Steve