Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

MM or not?

myos

The local paper for October 12th 1918 reports on L/Cpl William Whittle, 39360, East Lancs, being wounded at Armentieres on September 10th. It also states, 'He was recommended for the Military Medal on June 28th.'

Does 'recommended' mean that he would be awarded the MM at some stage, or could the recommendation be refused?

I have tried seaching the LG without any luck, but that doesn't mean that there isn't a mention somewhere, just that I failed to find it.

Andy

I think it can be refused. A number of KSLI men were recommended for a VC, yet only 1 was awarded. I suspect the same applies for an MM.

His MiC shows no mention of an MM.

Neil

His MiC shows no mention of an MM.

Thanks Neil. No his Mic doesn't mention it, and what remains of his Service Record doesn't either. There were two MM winners from this village, and I suspect that if William Whittle had won one, it would have been generally known about.

Andy

I've just been having a look at Andrew Jackson's great site - http://www.pals.org.uk/aval.htm- which describes the action of the East Lancs on June 28th, and lists six men who were awarded the MM following the battle. As William Whittle's name isn't one of them I presume his recommendation was rejected.

Andy

Yes, it could be refused. Had to be passed by someone higher than the CO of his Battalion (was at Brigade level, I think).

I have some medals to a man who was recommended for the VC. It wasn't awarded, and he (or should I say his relatives; he was killed performing his feat of bravery) ended up without any official recognition, not even an MID.

Previous posts are correct... Reccomendataions were put forward to the poweres that be and they would then say yay or nay.

I have come across men reccomended for the VC who came away with the DCM instead. Men recommended for the DCM were awarded the MM etc etc......

I suspect there were thousands of recomendations where the soldiers came away with nothing.

Whilst researching some of the gallantry groups in my collection, I have unearthed the actual recommendations for the awards. These are more detailed than the actual citation (if the award was issued)...This I presume is to give as much info as possible in the hope of getting the award authourised.

Neil

Thank you all for your replies.

I continue to be amazed at the depth of knowledge on the GWF, and the willingness to share.

It is greatly appreciated.

Andy

Most MMs were preceded by a "Divisional Gallantry Parchment/Certificate" before the recommendations went further up - generally to Corps level for MMs - for further consideration, so those recommended for medals but not receiving one would be likely to have a Divisional parchment.

Steve.

Thanks Steve

Is such a parchment/certificate something that could occasionally appear in a man's service record?

Andy

I can't remember seeing any mentioned Andy, but I can't say for certain.

Steve.

I've never seen one on a service record... I'd be interested to hear if anyone else has ever seen it mentioned.

Neil

Hi neil i have a aussie mm winner that was put forward for a bar did not get it .but has div cert gal . DCG on service record. Cheers tony

That's something to look out for then, but sadly there is more information on William Whittle in the newspaper cutting, than in what remains of his service record.

Andy

• 1 month later...

Only just noticed the last two posts....

Thanks for the info Tony

Neil

QUOTE: His MiC shows no mention of an MM.

This probably does not apply in the present case, but it is worth noting that the MICs available via Ancestry do not appear to include gallantry awards, but only campaign medals. I have found separate MICs for MMs etc on the National Archives Documents Online - they are under a different class number.

D